New EFI boot manager available: rEFInd

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shanmukh1988

Re: New EFI boot manager available: rEFInd

Post by Shanmukh1988 »

Hello folks,

I have a situation. I am migrating all my PC's from Windows to linux mint 15. Some of the machine are going well, some of them are making a problem like, after installation while booting its saying that "No boot disk is found". I have tried many ways like disabling UEFI, installing ubuntu first on that I am installing Linux mint, Installing the OS with Factory Setting. None of these are work can u suggest me the right one for me.

regards,
Shanmukh.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

PA1FOX wrote:Since I boot Windows 7 from rEFInd the USB ports stop working. USB mouse and keyboard are fine during boot, BIOS, rEFINd menu as well as in Linuxt Mint, but as soon as Windows 7 boots, USB stop working. I have got it 'sometimes' to work by connecting the USB devices to another USB port, Windows will see a new device, installs drivers and keyboard en mouse work again. But then, after the next reboot, they don't work anymore.
That is weird. My guess is that the drivers that came pre-installed on your computer were making assumptions about the way the USB subsystem was initialized. Although rEFInd doesn't explicitly change this, it's conceivable that your firmware was changing this detail when it launched rEFInd, thus causing problems. I'm glad you got it resolved by re-installing the drivers (or perhaps you ended up installing different drivers that made different assumptions).
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

Shanmukh1988 wrote:I have a situation. I am migrating all my PC's from Windows to linux mint 15. Some of the machine are going well, some of them are making a problem like, after installation while booting its saying that "No boot disk is found". I have tried many ways like disabling UEFI, installing ubuntu first on that I am installing Linux mint, Installing the OS with Factory Setting. None of these are work can u suggest me the right one for me.
I recommend you start a new thread for your problem. Please include more details about your installation attempts in that post. The output (RESULTS.txt file) of a run of Boot Info Script on an affected system would be a good start.
Annoyingduck

Post by Annoyingduck »

Hi @srs5694, If I could ask you to review my thread/issue here to understand the issue I am having (instead of me describing it all again here along with other users help/guidance): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=171171

Here is the output of what I am getting when I run sudo efibootmgr -v:
BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 2 seconds
BootOrder: 0001,0002
Boot0001* Windows Boot Manager HD(1,800,fa000,adf4d32b-0132-4638-a542-f9e0d3fedeb0)File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}...e................
Boot0002* UEFI: Hisun Flash Disk 2.10 ACPI(a0341d0,0)PCI(1a,0)USB(1,0)USB(3,0)HD(1,800,239f,f19d65c1-09ba-40a3-baf2-f031e02b21a3)AMBO

The Hisun Flash disk is the bootable Refind usb drive I created, I'm not seeing the actual installed version I installed via PPA, but what seems to happen is any other boot on the efi partition appears to get overwritten when windows is booting. The end of the thread is where I am at currently and just do not know where to go from there (though your program is simply wonderful!!).

A big thanks for your work, and let me know what else I can do to help solve my issue.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

If I didn't know better, I'd say your EFI NVRAM can only contain 2 entries. Any time you boot a new option, the one at the bottom of the list gets dumped.
tzeus

Post by tzeus »

I have a problem, and i am thinking it is a rEFInd issue.
I have Win 7 and Linux Mint 13 MATE, x64.
I am unable to boot into linux.
rEFInd pops up, i can select linux / windows, if i select linux it will take me to grub. There i doesn't matter if i chose normal or safe mode, the computer freezes. The problem goes away if i pick linuxmint as boot selection from bios and bypass rEFInd(but i lose windows boot and graphical boot selection). Maybe there is a simple solution that i don't know yet.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

tzeus wrote:I am unable to boot into linux.
rEFInd pops up, i can select linux / windows, if i select linux it will take me to grub. There i doesn't matter if i chose normal or safe mode, the computer freezes. The problem goes away if i pick linuxmint as boot selection from bios and bypass rEFInd(but i lose windows boot and graphical boot selection). Maybe there is a simple solution that i don't know yet.
That could be either a rEFInd bug (setting things up improperly when transferring control to GRUB) or a GRUB problem (getting confused by a valid environment passed by rEFInd, but one that's different from what the EFI sets up). In fact, it might even be a firmware problem, since rEFInd calls on the firmware to load and launch any program it launches. In fact, that last seems probable to me, since this is the first I've heard of this problem, and lots of people (myself included) launch GRUB from rEFInd, at least occasionally. Can you provide more details, like the make and model of your computer, whether you're booting with Secure Boot active, and whether you're launching rEFInd via Shim? Also, is your GRUB an EFI-mode GRUB or a BIOS-mode GRUB? (To launch the latter, you'd either need to be using a Mac or have manually adjusted your "scanfor" line in refind.conf.)

As to the solution, you don't mention any direct Linux kernel boot options in rEFInd. If you don't already have it, I recommend you install the EFI filesystem driver for whatever filesystem holds your kernel (ext4fs by default). This will enable rEFInd to detect and launch your Linux kernel(s) directly, bypassing GRUB. You might also want to run the mkrlconf.sh script in Linux to set up the /boot/refind_linux.conf file.
tzeus

Post by tzeus »

srs5694 wrote: That could be either a rEFInd bug (setting things up improperly when transferring control to GRUB) or a GRUB problem (getting confused by a valid environment passed by rEFInd, but one that's different from what the EFI sets up). In fact, it might even be a firmware problem, since rEFInd calls on the firmware to load and launch any program it launches. In fact, that last seems probable to me, since this is the first I've heard of this problem, and lots of people (myself included) launch GRUB from rEFInd, at least occasionally. Can you provide more details, like the make and model of your computer, whether you're booting with Secure Boot active, and whether you're launching rEFInd via Shim? Also, is your GRUB an EFI-mode GRUB or a BIOS-mode GRUB? (To launch the latter, you'd either need to be using a Mac or have manually adjusted your "scanfor" line in refind.conf.)

As to the solution, you don't mention any direct Linux kernel boot options in rEFInd. If you don't already have it, I recommend you install the EFI filesystem driver for whatever filesystem holds your kernel (ext4fs by default). This will enable rEFInd to detect and launch your Linux kernel(s) directly, bypassing GRUB. You might also want to run the mkrlconf.sh script in Linux to set up the /boot/refind_linux.conf file.

Stranger things have happened but without doing anything it started. At random, i tried two more times from rEFInd, it got stuck, then did some work under windows, then rebooted and forgot to change boot manager, and it started.
To answer some questions: i did not edit any grub file and i don't know what Shim is. I don't know about secure-boot. Make and model of Computer:
MB: ASRock B85 PRO 4. CPU: Intel i7 4770, Memory: 8GB DDR3 Kingmax 1333, GPU: MSI R9 280. I don't think that peripherals count for anything. I boot from a 120 GB SSD and i also have a 2 TB Seagate. All OS and relevant partitions are on the SSD. As for the drivers i do have and ext4_x63,efi inside my /boot/efi/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/. I didn't know about the mkrlconf.sh. I will check it up.
tzeus

Post by tzeus »

I executed the configuration shell script. Now it boots linux directly and it worked. If i run into trouble i will post again. Thank you for the assistance.
shondo34

Post by shondo34 »

It is important to note, that Grub2 is capable of booting under EFI systems like mac. Of course you have to install ReFit for duel boot if you intend on keeping you mac os system in tact. However I ran into a problem that had me thinking that I had a boot problem with EFI when I installed Mint 17. After install Mint would NOT boot! After lots of research I found that this had nothing to do with Grub boot manager at all but had to do with the driver for my video that mint installs on the system. When I attempted to boot, it would just hang as if I had no operating system at all. Here is the fix for all you Mac users and its very easy! Insert you Live DVD into the superdrive and restart the system. When ReFit comes up select the DVD to boot from and when the Mint screen pops up hit "TAB". Then a menu will appear and it will say "Hit Tab Again To Edit Boot Options". So do as it says and hit "TAB". A command line will appear. At the end of the command line type nomodeset and hit enter and wait for it to automatically boot. (NOTE: dont use space bar before you type the word, just type nomodeset right after the two dashes and hit enter and wait. When the live DVD loads then just install as usual following all the directions. This command that you typed at the end of the line disables the problem child video driver and installs a different one instead so the system can boot once it is installed. After you complete your installation and boot into Mint 17 for the first time, go to "DRIVER MANAGER" and select NVidia 304 driver to install for your graphics then reboot system after it is installed and enjoy! If you are doing a TOTAL install on your mac, insert the disc and restart holding down the "C" button so that it will boot the DVD and follow the exact instructions concerning "nomodeset" as I stated above. Also please note that a couple of times I had to do this twice on a mac to get it to take, dont worry, Macs are finicky and it might not take the first time. Just install again using the above procedure and it will work.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Adding another OS...

Post by Dngrsone »

Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but here goes:

I have a Toshiba Satellite with WIn 8.1 and Mint 15 on it right now, using rEFInd for my primary bootloader.

Since Mint 15 is at its end of life (support-wise), I have decided to side-load Mint 17 KDE.

My problem is, I don't want to break rEFInd if I can help it... where do I tell the installer to put its boot information (I'm assuming that /dev/sda would be a bad idea)?
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Adding another OS...

Post by srs5694 »

Dngrsone wrote:Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but here goes:

I have a Toshiba Satellite with WIn 8.1 and Mint 15 on it right now, using rEFInd for my primary bootloader.

Since Mint 15 is at its end of life (support-wise), I have decided to side-load Mint 17 KDE.

My problem is, I don't want to break rEFInd if I can help it... where do I tell the installer to put its boot information (I'm assuming that /dev/sda would be a bad idea)?
If you're installing in EFI mode, I don't think you have a GUI option about it. It may ask you where to install the boot loader, but that information will be ignored. I think that there's a command-line option to ubiquity (the installer -- at least, if Mint uses the same one as Ubuntu) to suppress installing GRUB. IIRC, that option is "-b".

Overall, though, it's probably easiest to just let the installer set up GRUB, then use "efibootmgr" to re-enable rEFInd as the default. Type "sudo efibootmgr" to see the options, then use the "-o" option to set rEFInd to the start of the options list, as in "sudo efibootmgr -o 5,8" if rEFInd is Boot0005 and GRUB is Boot0008.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

From what I understand, the KDE version uses a different installer. I normally use the machine in Secre Boot, as I have certificated my Mint bootloader, and my folder is not named 'Ubuntu' but rather LInuxMint, so I am hoping there will be no problems there...
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

Rod - please point me to a direction where I should ask you these questions if the should not be here. I think they can be applied however.

I just rebuilt me system and everything is working great. Here is a short list of steps taken thus far. (I am using Kali 1.08, which is a Debian kernel.)

1) Windows 8.1 installed and running Partitions setup correctly
2) Changed to CSM mode in BIOS as the "EFI able" 1.08 Kali cannot boot in EFI mode
3) Installed Kali and rebooted for test while BIOs is in CSM, everything works.
4) Rebooted in EFI, went straight to windows as expected.
5) Used steps listed here:http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/install ... _installsh to install rEFInd manually in windows
6) Reboot and I see both OSes, boot into Kali, works great.

Now the questions:
Question 1) I would like to manage rEFInd from Linux not windows. Step 1 in this questions list is me trying to figure out how to manage all of rEFInd fron linux...
Setup a repository similar to your recommendation on the website for Ubuntu(The only time Windows is on is when my wife is using the computer). I went looking for the ESP in the linux file structure and do not see it. (/boot/efi) - This is likely because I did the install in windows, and the directory is not mounted/does not exist that way. In an attempt to follow your recommendations to others, I ran the "parted /dev/sda print" so I can hunt this down.

Code: Select all

root@kali:/boot# parted /dev/sda print
Model: ATA TOSHIBA MQ01ABD0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 750GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End    Size    File system     Name                  Flags
 1      1049kB  473MB  472MB   ntfs            Basic data partition  hidden, diag
 2      473MB   746MB  273MB   fat32           Basic data partition  boot
 3      746MB   880MB  134MB   ntfs            Basic data partition  msftres
 4      880MB   269GB  268GB   ntfs            Basic data partition
 5      269GB   592GB  323GB   ntfs
 6      592GB   592GB  1049kB                                        bios_grub
 7      592GB   744GB  151GB   ext4
 8      744GB   750GB  6434MB  linux-swap(v1)
It looks like sda2 is what I need.... based on this page: http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloader ... ation.html I would guess my next command should be:

mount /dev/sda2 /boot/efi
Can you give me some tips on setting up the file structure correctly in Linux so I can run everything from the d/led deb files?

Question 2) Can you point me in the direction to where I can manage the look and feel of the rEFInd menu? I see how to change the "description" but I believe that is for rEFInd itself. (using windows manual install on your page)

If you like, type bcdedit /set {bootmgr} description "rEFInd description" to set a description (change rEFInd description as you see fit).
I want to install new images for the menu, just make it look nice. :mrgreen:

Great software and installation instructions!!
ceciliasp

Post by ceciliasp »

Hi.

I have a ASUS SC400 64-b laptop that came with Windows 8 UEFI installed.
I've wiped the entire disk and installed Ubuntu 14.04 in UEFI mode without noticing it since I was not prompt with any other option when I ran the Ubuntu Live USB installer.
Now I've created a second partition in which I've installed Linux Min 17 Cinnamon, but I installed it in CMS mode since I didn' t know how to add the boot option in UEFI mode.
Since now I' m bootin in legacy mode, I can see in the grub menu that the Windows UEFI option is still available. (There is a FAT32 flagged "root" partition). I also notice that booting takes a lot longer than before (when Ubuntu was the only os running).

Is there way I could delete the windows boot partition and to fix the UEFI-ubuntu/LEGACY-Mint inconsistency?

I would have no problem deleting the mint partition and installing it again if needed, since I' ve installed it for teste purpouses.

Thanks in advance
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Is it also possible or difficult to do multiboot with UEFI? (Maybe my next computer.)

I have now a multiboot-system (easy for experimenting and tests) on a 'New, but Bios-set Asus',
with as a 'switch' to the other distro's: PCLOS with redo MBR, very handsom.
It is now an install of a new distro on partition, run PCLOS redo MBR for the boot-loader and there
you go again. :D No windows until now.

I have almost zero knowledge on this.. but I've read some about the subject. :)
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Look up rEFInd. You will learn everything you need to know to multiboot with UEFI.

I am triple-booting Win 8.1, Mint 15 and Mint 17 with Secure Boot enabled.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Thanks Dngrsone. :wink:
I've seen it.
Like magic... :lol:
mhbell
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhbell »

I have a new HP Pavilion HP 17- e117dx with windows 8.1 preinstalled with uefi. I have installed Linux Mint 17 efi 64 bit version. I installed the linux boot loader in sda2 which is where the windows boot manager is fat partition. Secure boot is disabled. Fast boot or start is disabled I installed Refind and it found the 2 OS's. Here is the problem When I boot up I have to press F9 and choose the boot manager that I want to use. Ubuntu (Mint), Windows 8.1 (default) Refind and others. I want Ubuntu (Linux Mint) to be default without having to press F9 at boot to select it. I have changed the boot order but it always returns to Windows 8.1 on the next boot. It appears to me that either HP or Microsoft has hard coded another Windows 8.1 boot manager somewhere that causes Win 8.1 to revert back and be the default no matter what the boot is changed to. to get Refind I have to press F9 at boot up. is there a way I can disable windows 8.1 boot manager or efi file. so it will boot Mint or Refind at bootup? I would like to get rid of Windows 8.1 completely, but would want to keep The GPT and UEFI.
Thanks for any help or advise.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

So, I used efibootmgr to set the WIndows bootloader as primary (so the repair techs wouldn't get 'confused' when booting my laptop) and this resulted in some problems restoring rEFInd after recieving my repaired machine back.

Using bcdedit from within Windows (administrative CLI) had no effect. I had to boot from a Mint USB drive, install efibootmgr, and set rEFInd as the primary bootloader (manually mounting the boot partition and using, in my case, sudo efibootmgr -o 0005).

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”