How do I know if I can Boot from USB(SOLVED)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How do I know if I can Boot from USB

Post by pcpunk »

ClutchDisc wrote:When working off of the live CD/USB you really can't save your settings / work. Puppy is a super light distro, not meant to be pretty. Yes, you need to get the RAM and install Linux Mint to the HDD.
I thought for sure someone was explaining this. When you close the OS it asks you if you want to save your settings or something to that effect. I am not familiar enough with computer tech that I can understand it so I just choose what I think is right lol. I think it is saving things like downloads, desktop, internet etc. for the next boot-up right?
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

pcpunk wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:When working off of the live CD/USB you really can't save your settings / work. Puppy is a super light distro, not meant to be pretty. Yes, you need to get the RAM and install Linux Mint to the HDD.
I thought for sure someone was explaining this. When you close the OS it asks you if you want to save your settings or something to that effect. I am not familiar enough with computer tech that I can understand it so I just choose what I think is right lol. I think it is saving things like downloads, desktop, internet etc. for the next boot-up right?
Ok yes Puppy will ask you that... I'm not sure what you are saving because I always ran puppy off of a HDD if I was going to save anything. Most distros like Mint won't save anything while using the live CD/USB.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

ClutchDisc wrote:You can install puppy to a free usb if you want (not the same as making a bootable usb, this would be like installing it to a HDD), or to the actual HDD.

As for RAM, I looked your computer up on amazon and you could get 2 GB for about $30 shipped.
I would like to know more about this "free usb" can you link me to the instructions.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

You mean you want to install Puppy to a USB and use it as a HDD?
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

ClutchDisc wrote:You mean you want to install Puppy to a USB and use it as a HDD?
I don't know it was your words lol. Clutch Disc Quote: "free usb" In post 55 above.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Oh Lol that means a USB drive that isn't being used!
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

If you do want to install Puppy to a USB, you can use this Youtube video and basically just substitute the hard drive whenever you see it for a USB drive. Just BE CAREFUL if you attempt it, because if you accidentally select the hard drive when you meant the USB you will wipe your HDD clean!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxVOH3m ... 6ZU3StDiIp

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/puppy-linux-on-usb/
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Cool, thanks-I got LucidPuppy on usb for now, I WILL move on as soon as I feel comfortable with "Installing" and creating the "Partition".
As I understand it,when you have a Livedistro on an usb or cd, you can then choose "install" on the desktop>then will be prompted to choose the "partition" size, is this true Clutch? No other tools to download or anything?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Puppy should have all the tools you need.. I'm not familiar with Lucid Puppy, but it should be about the same as Precise Puppy.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Puppy is not the same as conventional Linux OS.

Read this first:
Puppy is easy to use and does not require a hard disk, so the first trick that you must know is how NOT to install it to hard disk !

http://puppylinux.org/main/How%20NOT%20 ... 0Puppy.htm

tutorial available here
http://www.puppylinuxforum.org/thread-475.html
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Thanks again guys, PuppyLinux is pretty cool and it is the only one that would work with my measly RAM. I am back to report that with 4GB of RAM I am now able to use LMMQ or LMCQ via LiveUSB! which is what I wanted all along.
I do have LMMQ on HDD now cause I did not like Puppy very well. All cool stuff but I needed something that worked a bit easier. I am testing LMCQ right now via USB and it works better than the others so far. I am not able to play IHeartRadio on the others so I might stick with this one.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Great! Glad it's working for you! :)
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I am retrying LMCQ right now but when I boot up there is a weird screen that I have not seen before. It has a list of options that I assume come along when a dual boot is on computer but booting from LIveUSB to try some other distro's. The choices go something like this:
Start Linux Mint
Integrety Check
Linux Mint Cinamom Edition 64bit blah blah
Linux Mint Cinamom Edition 64bit Compatibility Mode
And a few other things that I did not write down, can someone tell me how I am suppossed to proceed with this screen. This time out I did not do anything and it booted itself. The first time this happened I choose "Linux Mint Cinamon Edition 64bit." and Enter. More headaches, dam this Linux lol. Windows is looking better every day guys. It would be Logical to provide a dialoge box at this and other points to guide newbie's.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Simply let it boot itself, or if you want select "default" and it will start booting a few seconds sooner. It's not that hard to figure out really... At least Linux gives you the option to live boot from the DVD/USB before you install... unlike Windows! Windows is looking better because of that?!?!? :roll:
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

ClutchDisc wrote:Simply let it boot itself, or if you want select "default" and it will start booting a few seconds sooner. It's not that hard to figure out really... At least Linux gives you the option to live boot from the DVD/USB before you install... unlike Windows! Windows is looking better because of that?!?!? :roll:
LOL, Okay, it just dosen't tell you that anything is happening (insert emoticon scratching head here.) Thanks again ClutchDisc.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

pcpunk wrote:LOL, Okay, it just dosen't tell you that anything is happening (insert emoticon scratching head here.) Thanks again ClutchDisc.
Well now you know what is happening. :) You are welcome.

Return to “Installation & Boot”