How do I find out what DNS I'm using ?[SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

How do I find out what DNS I'm using ?[SOLVED]

Post by ron_h »

LMDE 201403 Cinnamon 64bit

I'm trying to watch a video from a local TV station, made available via the web. I get the message "content unavailable".

The station says
Video shows the message "content unavailable"
This may occur because you have set up a third party DNS service for your computer – such as Open DNS or Google Public DNS. Our video player uses your DNS information to detect if you are accessing from Australia or abroad. By using a third Party DNS server, our video player will detect an international DNS and think that you are accessing from abroad and thus block the content.
SBS recommends the use of your ISP’s internal DNS servers instead of using third party DNS services. This will ensure that you are being redirected to the nearest and fastest media servers for best video watching experience. In doubt please contact your ISP’s customer service.
The ADSL modem is set up to get DNS automatically from the ISP. My wife can view the video I'm trying to watch on her Win 7 laptop, going through the same ADSL modem.

Is there any possibility that LMDE is overriding the default DNS, and if so, how do I find out what DNS service I'm using ?

Ron
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: How do I find out what DNS I'm using ?

Post by Monsta »

Look into

Code: Select all

/etc/resolv.conf
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do I find out what DNS I'm using ?

Post by ron_h »

Thank you. That points to 192.168.0.1 which is the ADSL modem, unfortunately.

Ron
WinterTroubles

Re: How do I find out what DNS I'm using ?[SOLVED]

Post by WinterTroubles »

Hi ron

Just a thought, but, it may be helpful to actually post the name of the station you are trying to view as the DNS thing seems to be a false lead. Maybe it's something else that is site specific and a fellow Australian may already know how to view the TV station in question.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

The station is actually in the quote above, it's SBS. And it's not as simple as I can't watch anything there, it (so far) is just one video "Fat vs Sugar". The videos are all FLV files so I'm wondering if it's an FLV file that uses features not supported by the downlevel Flash available in Linux.

Ron
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Hmmm.. Out of interest have you tried playing the vid on Google Chrome, I'm guessing you don't have it installed, however, I ask because it comes with the latest version of Adobe Flash Player. If it did play in Chrome, but, not in Firefox then that would seem to support your idea that maybe the version of flashplayer used else where in linux is missing the required feature.

Sorry this isn't more helpful, but, I'm doing my best considering I'm not from your side of the globe or running LMDE :lol:
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

I have tried Chromium, Epiphany, and Firefox browsers. None of them play this particular video, but only Chromium puts up the 'not available' message, the others just do nothing.
UPDATE I see the version of Chromium available via Synaptics Package Manager is on v31.something, which is pretty back level.

Thanks for the suggestion about Chrome, and indeed the TV station also suggests that Linux users should try Chrome, I should have listened to them

I tried to install Chrome v35 a few weeks back but it doesn't work on this LMDE system, and there are posts in these forums about other people having this problem. I was unable to locate a download of Chrome v34 which apparently does work (but if it doesn't contain the latest Flash, might not help even if I did find it). I'll have another try at installing Chrome, downloading from Google. Chrome is not available via Synaptics Package Manager so I can't try from there.

UPDATE The version of Chrome I downloaded today Version 35.0.1916.153 does work, and I can watch the video !!!

I have now watched the video using the 'SBS On Demand' app (from Google Play Store) on my Android tablet. I'd sooner watch it on my 22" monitor than on my 7" tablet, so I'd still like a solution for my LMDE system.

Ron
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

ron_h wrote: I tried to install Chrome v35 a few weeks back but it doesn't work on this LMDE system, and there are posts in these forums about other people having this problem.

Bummer :( I was hoping maybe we could've found a simple solution. As I've demonstrated with the chrome suggestion, the fact that I don't run LMDE makes me kinda useless to you unfortunately.

I hope someone else can provide you with more practical help.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

Thank you, installing the very latest Chrome-stable, downloaded from Google today, worked just fine

Ron
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Excellent news Ron :D I'm glad you managed to get it all sorted out.

WT

Return to “LMDE Archive”