Problem with file copying - SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Suncoaster
Level 1
Level 1

Problem with file copying - SOLVED

Post by Suncoaster »

Since I did a fresh install of Mint 17 I cannot copy files to or from my nas-server. I get an error while copying and the info in details is "Software caused connection abort". Any help would be appreciated as this did not happen with previous versions of Mint.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Suncoaster
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem with file copying

Post by Suncoaster »

Cab anyone help with this????? :cry:
nomko

Post by nomko »

Did you configured your NAS server correctly? Did you renewed your read/write access to your NAS after your fresh/clean Mint 17 install?
Suncoaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Suncoaster »

Yes to both suggestions. As a further test I tried VLC in Windows 7 and everything played correctly so I am about to revert to an earlier release of Mint to see if I can identify when the problem started.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Note: You didn't specify which desktop environment you are using so I will assume it's Cinnamon.
Note: You didn't specify how you are accessing the NAS so I will assume it's Samba.

There has been a kernel change recently that changed the default security mode in samba to ntlmssp from ntlm so that it is more compatible with the current generation of Windows and OSX systems. Unfortunately most NAS builders never got the memo.

If you are trying to access it from Nemo I don't know of a way to override the new default which means you will have to mount it manually.

This can get complicated since I don't know if you have this set up to require credentals and I don't know how the nas itself is set up. You can try as a generic mount and see how things work:

[1] First, create a mount point for the nas mount:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /media/NAS
[2] Then mount it to that folder:

sudo mount -t cifs //nas-server-name/share /media/NAS -o username=nas-required-user-name,password=nas-required-password,uid=1000,sec=ntlm
If you have it set up to allow guest access then the command would be somthing like this:

sudo mount -t cifs //nas-server-name/share /media/NAS -o guest,uid=1000,sec=ntlm

EDIT: Almost forgot
. You need to install the following package for a cifs mount to work:

sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Suncoaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Suncoaster »

You are correct I am using Cinnamon, but I don't believe I am accessing via Samba but I could be wrong. When I click on Network in Nemo I am shown a list of computers on my network as well as Windows network, so I select NAS-SERVER and I then get the list of folders on the server and I then select the Videos folder and that's when the problems start. I just tested this on a Live CD version of Mint 16 and this problem does not occurr. I can stream video to my TV without any problems it is just will not work on my desktop machine or my laptop.

I attempted your proposed fix and it did not work so I obviously did something wrong. The mount point creation worked as you would expect but the second command failed.
I used the command listed below and got the error shown. I used the command shown as I want to share the nas device from anywhere on my network to anyone on my network

"~$ sudo mount -t cifs //NAS-SERVER/share /media/NAS -o guest,uid=1000,sec=ntlm"
mount error: could not resolve address for NAS-SERVER: Unknown error

NAS-SERVER is the name of the nas device.

Thanks for your help so far.

PS if I use CVLC I do not have the problem it is only if I use the GUI version of VLC
Last edited by Suncoaster on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Before we make things more complicated you might try 2 variations of the command:

If the nas is designed to be accessed by OSX or any other apple device you can see if this works:

sudo mount -t cifs //NAS-SERVER.local/share /media/NAS -o guest,uid=1000,sec=ntlm
It's the same one you ran except with an mDNS qualified host name ( the .local part added to the host name ).

If that doesn't work then try accessing it by ip address:

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.101/share /media/NAS -o guest,uid=1000,sec=ntlm
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Suncoaster
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem with file copying - SOLVED

Post by Suncoaster »

Thank you for your help, after creating mount points for each of the folders I wanted everything is now working the way I want :D . Now to read a few man pagesto work out how to mount these shares at boot time. :lol:
nomko

Re: Problem with file copying - SOLVED

Post by nomko »

Suncoaster wrote:Now to read a few man pagesto work out how to mount these shares at boot time.
You need to edit your fstab file (to be found here: /etc/fstab/).

Some helpfull links;
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Autom ... Partitions
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

Return to “Software & Applications”