Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Minterator

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE is out!

Post by Minterator »

Thank you. Best OS since LM13 :)

Rock solid on Intel z77, install was a breeze, there's just an alert sound on every bootup ( \a Ding!).

Very difficult on AMD 990FX with nVidia GTX 550Ti. Must be installed in compatibility mode, and enabling proprietary video driver reboots to a black screen. Is 990FX considered "legacy" or was linus torvalds right when he told nvidia to F-off ? :wink:
J_D_

Post by J_D_ »

Thanks to all involved. Switched to 17 as soon as I found the RC release. Works great. Use it daily for surfing the net. Now I need to learn my way around it to get full use of this great OS.
konjad

Post by konjad »

KDE version seems to have been stagnated for a while.
vasmakk

Post by vasmakk »

Hi everybody!

I noticed there will be a respin (updated ISO image) for the Cinnamon version. This is good news.
Will there be the same for the MATE version ?
konjad

Post by konjad »

Probably not.
vasmakk

Post by vasmakk »

konjad wrote:Probably not.
That would be a pitty!
Most issues being fixed in the Cinnamon edition by this update, appear in the MATE edition too...
I hope the team will reconsider this!

Thx konjad
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

As far as I can see the issues fixed in the respun cinnamon ISO are one's that, as a cinnamon user, I've already received updates to fix.. In other words it's simply the original stable with all more recent updates applied, as far as I can tell.

Of course, now I've said that Clem will add a new post to the blog and prove me wrong :lol:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

konjad wrote:Probably not.
:? MATE respins are currently being tested, follow the progress here.
WinterTroubles wrote:As far as I can see the issues fixed in the respun cinnamon ISO are one's that, as a cinnamon user, I've already received updates to fix.. In other words it's simply the original stable with all more recent updates applied, as far as I can tell.
You can't receive the updates to the installer (Ubiquity), and that's the reason for the respins.
konjad

Post by konjad »

lol, looks like they rushed LM17 and screwed up the final version so they need to release it again :lol:
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Monsta wrote:You can't receive the updates to the installer (Ubiquity), and that's the reason for the respins.
Of course :oops: They've reworded the 'replace' option haven't they. I'd completely over looked that when I checked it out :oops:
akabanekuroido

Post by akabanekuroido »

There is a small problem in Mint 17 Mate.
When inserting a blank DVD, you can't define with which program to open it.
When you go to "File Management Preferences - media" you also can't select a program to open blank DVD/CD's with.

So to solve this go to your home directory. Press ctrl-H, then go to:.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
There add these two lines at the end of [Default Applications]
x-content/blank-cd=brasero.desktop
x-content/blank-dvd=brasero.desktop

Now restart and return to the File Management Preferences. Go to "media" now you can select a program.
P.S. Maybe this problem is solved in update V2?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”