Full-disk encryption on dual-boot system

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
math1985

Full-disk encryption on dual-boot system

Post by math1985 »

What is the easiest way to set up full-disk encryption (or encryption of the linux volume) with Linux Mint 17 on a dual-boot system?

I want a Linux Mint 17 + Windows 8 dual-boot system.

On this system, I would like to encrypt my Linux Mint installation (both home dir and Linux Mint system files). Encryption of Windows 8 is less important.

What's the easiest way to accomplish this? It seems that the installer only allows encryption of the full disk (erasing Windows 8 in the process), or of the home partition, but not of the Linux Mint partition alone.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Minterator

Re: Full-disk encryption on dual-boot system

Post by Minterator »

There's no point encrypting the OS, just your home dir. Also, you can run WIn 8 as a virtual machine, thus there would be no reason to dual boot, you'd run both OSes simultaneously. That way Win 8 will get encrypted too because it would be in your home dir.
snipertyler
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Full-disk encryption on dual-boot system

Post by snipertyler »

Full disk (or partition in your case) encryption is not especially easy. What you most likely are looking for is a LVM on LUKS installation. This requires mostly cli usage and is fairly advanced. Look it up if curious.
Encrypting just /home is a excellent method of creating a secure system. Either with LUKS (utilizing crypttab) or using the .private option during installation.
I'm positive encrypting Windows would result in a non-functioning Windows.

Return to “Installation & Boot”