Could not grab your mouse

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stephen_A

Could not grab your mouse

Post by Stephen_A »

When attempting to run Synaptic Package Manager this message appears:
Could not grab your mouse. A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session or you may have just clicked a menu or some application that just decided to get focus try again.
I've seen a few references to this on these forums but no decisive solution. I'll try again. Hoping you can help.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Could not grab your mouse

Post by Husse »

Which Mint?
Yes I've seen this - but not someone crying out loud so it is probably fixed, but I don't know how (or even if)
Stephen_A

Post by Stephen_A »

It's Mint 5, Elyssa, if that's any help.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

It happens when you run gksu and click somehwere on screen while it is loading, nothing serious.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Stephen_A

Post by Stephen_A »

Thanks for your reply, Magnus. I would like very much to think it is 'nothing serious' but at the moment it prevents me from running Synaptic Package Manager, which is a headache of large proportions.
If you could possibly advise how to fix it. I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

It might be a bug as well, but I found that you just be careful when clicking on the Synaptic entry, just click once and let the app load without clicking anywhere else (of course, type in your password). Alternately you can press super+space and type in synaptic.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

Clem is looking into this. It appeared for the reviewer in one of the reviews he's mentioned in the blog
morty007

Post by morty007 »

I just got this message too today, what in the world is going on ? :shock: I can't get into the package manager at all. After you click it it's just the round circle like it's working but then that message comes up.
rick0612

Post by rick0612 »

I get this all the time. I found that after clicking on an app, the menu doesn't close and the app comes up behind it. If you want synaptic you have to click on it then quickly click on the desktop. That will close the menu and you can then see the password prompt. I have to do this click thing for Firefox, Thunderbird or anything I want to run; else the menu will stay open on top of the app.
This is much more than just an annoyance. Please help.

Rick.
Husse

Post by Husse »

rick0612 you seem to have a separate problem
Do you have Elyssa at all? This seems like an annoying error in the earlier versions of mintMenu where a little tick box could get unticked (pin menu if my memory serves me right)
Have you fixed the security flaw?
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =0&t=13459
I am not sure if it helps here but I think so
I'm not sure of the solution
rick0612

Post by rick0612 »

Husse
I am running Elyssa with all the latest updates.
I found that the menu will disappear if I just click on Firefox (or whatever) after it comes up. I still have to click the desktop to get the password prompt for synaptic though.
Should I post this separately?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Thanks for thinking :)
I think it is somehow related
Check this
Open gconf-editor - you simply run that as a command in a gnome terminal
Then open
apps > mintMenu
There is an option pin_menu
If that's box is ticked the menu behaves as you describe
Check that and tell me the result
rick0612

Post by rick0612 »

Husse,

That did it! I had to logout of the session and back in to get it to work but, that was it.

Thanks
Husse

Post by Husse »

And what about the password prompt?
Is that ok as well
All the rest in this topic could you please check this as well - we may be on to something here
rick0612

Post by rick0612 »

Husse,
Password and everything else are fine.

Thanks again.
morty007

Post by morty007 »

Husse- I tried this solution and it worked for a day or so but now it's back. Is there another solution or are they looking into this? Thanks for your help.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't really find what solution you refer to, so please tell me that
There are several posters in this topic with slightly different problems
morty007

Post by morty007 »

You said on page 1 "Open gconf-editor - you simply run that as a command in a gnome terminal
Then open
apps > mintMenu
There is an option pin_menu
If that's box is ticked the menu behaves as you describe
Check that and tell me the result"

It works intermittently apparently.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ morty007
So it's not the " Could not grab your mouse" problem you are referring to
It gets a bit confusing when to different subjects gets tangled
And it's not pinned any more?
If so I'm at a a loss....
brian36

Post by brian36 »

I could get to Synaptic by accessing the Control Centre, but thanks for the idea of left-clicking on the Desktop just after selecting Package Manager - much quicker.

Return to “Beginner Questions”