I like Gnome! Do I have to go to KDE for relief? Fixed!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arkiedan

I like Gnome! Do I have to go to KDE for relief? Fixed!

Post by arkiedan »

I really hate to ask this but I'm stumped!

Is there a way to quickly and permanently size and position application windows while they're open? I was using Suse 11.0 last week and KDE was easy, setting size and position to remember the last time the window was open.

I've tried everything I can in Mint. The windows never open in the same position and size on the desktop.

I really love Mint and Gnome but I hate constantly sizing and positioning every window I open. If there's an easy way to resize and reposition windows permanently I haven't found the answer. I apologize for my stupidity but I could use some help.

Thanks in advance, arkiedan

A guy over at the Ubuntu forum suggested I try going to the Compiz Configuration Manager and under Windows Management open "Place Windows" and enable "Placement Mode - Centered"

Worked like a charm. Of course, this will only work if Compiz is enabled. Guess I should have said that initially.

arkiedan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: I like Gnome! Do I have to go to KDE for relief?

Post by Husse »

Well...
My windows open in the same size from time to time
Most (yes only most, not all) open in the top left corner if it is not already occupied
I looked in gconf-editor but found nothing, but I think it's there this is controlled
You open with the command gconf-editor in a terminal
I can "sympathize" with you but I'm not bothered personally
arkiedan

Re: I like Gnome! Do I have to go to KDE for relief? Fixed!

Post by arkiedan »

Thanks for the reply. Problem solved, at least to my satisfaction. This is a small thing but I liked the was KDE allowed for adjusting windows any way the user wanted.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Just curious
Was it the gconf-editor?
I really like when I read what fixed the problem (short description) as I learn from that
arkiedan

Post by arkiedan »

Husse wrote:Just curious
Was it the gconf-editor?
I really like when I read what fixed the problem (short description) as I learn from that
A guy over at the Ubuntu forum suggested I try going to the Compiz Configuration Manager and under Windows Management open "Place Windows" and enable "Placement Mode - Centered"

Worked like a charm. Of course, this will only work if Compiz is enabled. Guess I should have said that initially.

arkiedan

Return to “Beginner Questions”