Slow Boot Mint Cinnamon 17

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Slow Boot Mint Cinnamon 17

Post by kyphi »

The slow boot seems to be specific to kernel 3.13.0 and there are quite a few complaints on various forums where users have experienced slow boot with this kernel.

The kernel used in Linux Mint 16 booted fast and that was using kernel 3.11.0.

I have just installed kernel 3.11.10 and there was an improvement in boot. From Login screen to GUI in 7 seconds.

Unfortunately there is a boot delay on my experimental installation between selecting a grub entry and the login screen (30 seconds) because of an error caused by something the "recommended" nvidia driver installation (and later removal) left behind. Even so, this is an improvement.

As chazdg24 has pointed out, the 3.15 kernel is just as slow as the 3.13 - so the answer to slow boot for some users seems to be reverting to an earlier kernel.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

tassoevan wrote:This topic has a wrong title.

The slow step is between login and desktop initialization, meaning that there is a delay in Cinnamon start. I'm seeing the same problem: working online or offline, the black screen is present in the same time interval, of many seconds. In another PC, small delays in Cinnamon responsiveness occur randomly too.
Yes, Cinnamon responsiveness is also an issue.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

All fixed - see http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=170974

Could that be the cause in your system?
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

kyphi wrote:All fixed - see http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=170974

Could that be the cause in your system?
Well, I think in my case this doesn't apply as I have an ATI 5870 card. I'm using the fglrx-updates driver. How do I check if my card is identified correctly?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

You have me at a disadvantage chazdg24. I did not mention a graphics card.

As stated at http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=170974 the cause for the boot delay was a keyboard with an inbuilt usb sound card plus two usb slots. Dmesg shows a 49 second delay. As soon as another keyboard was used, the boot delay did not occur.
Naturally I would like to continue to use my favourite keyboard and I have been working at disabling these unwanted extra facilities. Udev rules, blacklists and so forth have so far had limited success.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
watcheroftheskies

Post by watcheroftheskies »

I have the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 1545. Since 17 Iḿ running 64 bit and boot has been slow since.
To be precise it is the time between login and full desktop. Seeing the posts above I think I will try the 32bit and see.
watcheroftheskies

Post by watcheroftheskies »

To be sure I timed the process:
- From Dell boot image to Login: 30 sec.
- From Login to desktop: 23 sec.
The 'chime' sound in between at 10 sec; the chime usually sounds just before the desktop appears. So is the slowness in MDM or Cinnamon?
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

Hello, slow for me too.
It takes 46 seconds to get the desktop.
It would be more the fun to get LinuxMint quicker but no drama here, we boot just once a day.

For other purposes I installed the Kernel 3.13.027 just above the recommended and I have not experimented any problems. (or visible changes)
Cordially
P.
Mint 21.2 64-bit , Cinnamon
Think Pad T420 Ram:8 GB Intel© Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 2 SSD Samsung- Firefox/Brave
makkasi

Post by makkasi »

Same for me
it's taking too much time after the mdm. 40 seconds after the chime. I don't see the real reason for this. You can see in the attached png file what are the processes. I have removed the processes that end before mdm start because the image height was over the limit. It's really annoying problem. Hope that solution will come soon.

Thanks
makkasi

Post by makkasi »

Why there are no comments. The graph is not clear enough ?

Return to “Installation & Boot”