Partition mounting

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Thomass

Partition mounting

Post by Thomass »

My pc shares its hard drive over multiple partitions including one for ALL of my media

is there a way to mount that partition so it can always be seen by linux

problem = if I start linux and open rythmbox all of my music disappears. If I browse computer/that partition first then go to rythmbox everything is fine.

small annoying problem that I am sure is easily fixed.

thanks for any help-
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Partition mounting

Post by 67GTA »

You can add it to your /etc/fstab file so it will be mounted at each boot. Once you have it mounted, go to /etc/mtab. There will be a temporary entry for that partition. Copy and paste it at the end of your fstab file and save it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Thomass

Post by Thomass »

I got this code

You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.

when trying to add this line

/dev/sda3 /media/disk fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

You will have to have root permission to write to the fstab file. The easiest way is from a terminal. Just run

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/fstab
this will open the fstab file with the gedit text editor with root permissions. You should be able to paste it in there then. Save it and reboot. Sorry, I just assumed you knew that. Anything that is not inside your home folder requires you to have root(administrator) powers. That is the reason Linux is so secure. sudo gives you(the user) temporary root powers.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

After using Linux for enough years, things like that become second nature. You tend to forget little things like that. Someone had to explain it to me several years ago :D
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Being ntfs will make a small difference. Delete the fstab entry you made, and install

Code: Select all

ntfs-config
with the package manager. It will be in your menu after installing it. It will let you set up read/write permission for it and create an entry in fstab for you.

Return to “Hardware Support”