Computer related jokes

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
eanfrid

Re: Computer related jokes

Post by eanfrid »

DeMus

Post by DeMus »

@clutchdisc,
http://cdn10.mixrmedia.com/user_photos/ ... 75ebb3.jpg

This happened to me yesterday. I know it will shut down by itself, but I want to unplug the power supply from my laptop. Now I had to wait.
What is even worse: the next day when you start the laptop you have got to wait again. Now because: Windows is preparing the configuration of Windows.
The counter adds up to around 30%, then a reboot, then it goes to 80% followed by a reboot. When it finally reaches 100% it has to ..... reboot again.
I had to look up something and couldn't do anything except waiting. It is disgusting.

After that I installed a pdf printer which included a load of extra software I didn't want to have: speed optimizers, registry cleaners, etc.
Took me for hours to undo all that, and still didn't do what i wanted to do with MY laptop.
I am so happy with the OS on the other partitions: Mint 16 KDE. I see I have updates available, but they stay nice and calm in my taskbar until I decide to install them when It pleases me, not when it pleases Windows.
With Windows you are not the boss over your pc/laptop. You have to do with it what MS or other crappy software suppliers want you to do with it.

Please let Linux never ever change like that.
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

DeMus wrote:@clutchdisc,

This happened to me yesterday. I know it will shut down by itself, but I want to unplug the power supply from my laptop. Now I had to wait.
What is even worse: the next day when you start the laptop you have got to wait again. Now because: Windows is preparing the configuration of Windows.
The counter adds up to around 30%, then a reboot, then it goes to 80% followed by a reboot. When it finally reaches 100% it has to ..... reboot again.
I had to look up something and couldn't do anything except waiting. It is disgusting.

After that I installed a pdf printer which included a load of extra software I didn't want to have: speed optimizers, registry cleaners, etc.
Took me for hours to undo all that, and still didn't do what i wanted to do with MY laptop.
I am so happy with the OS on the other partitions: Mint 16 KDE. I see I have updates available, but they stay nice and calm in my taskbar until I decide to install them when It pleases me, not when it pleases Windows.
With Windows you are not the boss over your pc/laptop. You have to do with it what MS or other crappy software suppliers want you to do with it.

I totally know what you are talking about there! I hated that with Windows... Why does it have to configure forever after it has already installed the updates??? Another annoying one is when it forces a restart on you because it wants to install updates. You know how often Linux needs to restart to install updates??? I agree with you, it's simply disgusting. I'm very glad I came across Linux, I can finally get so much more done on my computer because it simply works!!
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

^^^ :lol: Love that microsoft update one!

Uggg, I just had it happen to me yesterday! Long story short so you get the idea behind my frustration: Our power was out because of some bad storms the night before. Well we had a generator powering a number of things, our router included. So my Windows 7 netbook is the only computer I had at the moment that still had a decent charge. Well I wanted to look up something really fast, so I fire it up from sleep and it is very slow. I reboot, and Windows begins the dreaded update screen! Now there are two things really frustrating me here: I just wanted to look something up really quickly, and now couldn't, and the fact the battery on my netbook isn't very good, and 45 min left is considered decent to me for that computer. Well these updates started and now I am wondering if there is enough time to even finish them! I didn't really have a way to plug it in at that time either. I would never have had it install updates then!! So I close the lid and let it go to sleep while it was on about update 3 of something like 32 updates! :lol: When I turned it on later and then had it plugged in it resumed the updates and ended up taking about 45 minutes to finish. That is why my Windows 7 netbook doesn't see much use and needs a lot of dusting!
nomko

Post by nomko »

Another computer related joke: Microsoft Windows.
Why on earth does Microsoft brings an operating system on the market which requires several reboots after and during the installing of software or drivers even when it is possible to install everything you want without rebooting several times after another like Linux???

A fresh/clean install of Mint takes me about 2 hours to get my system the way i like.
A fresh/clean install of Windows takes me about 2 days (!?!?!?) to get everything installed and have it the way i want it just because of all those reboots. And even then i'm hoping the system is not crashing.......

That's a big joke!
Last edited by nomko on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

jahid

Post by jahid »

This is the first time ever, I have seen "sudo" fail to do something or getting rejected by a mere software!!!

Code: Select all

$ sudo ./install_feem.run
[sudo] password for jahid: 
Error.
Sorry, you can't use sudo on this install script
Feem installer doesn't need root privileges
./install_feem.run: 7: read: Illegal option -n
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

austin.texas wrote:The end of the internet
http://www.1112.net/lastpage.html
:D :mrgreen: :lol: Good one austin.texas!
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Why you should never pick on a geek!
DilbertGoogleGlass.jpeg
nomko

Post by nomko »

Maybe not a real joke, but it was as funny as it could be!

About 12 years ago i worked for a Norwegian (oil/gas/chemical/petrochemical based) engineering-company with an office based in The Netherlands. The computers were equipped with Windows NT4.0 (imho the best Windows version ever) and when opening a dos-box we were able to run a netsend command sending messages over the (internal) network from one computer to another computer. On the project i was assigned to, one of my colleagues was an older designer (Senior Designer). When i found out that i could send messages over the network to the computer he was using, using that netsend command i started sending any kind of computer and program related error messages to him. Another colleague of me was also my best friend and we were always together on each and every project (i can't really say that we were picked together due to our hard work or that we were picked together for our jokes and gags.....) and i pointed out to him what i was doing. That joke went so bad that we even reached the point that the Senior designer was busy a whole morning rebooting his computer and clicking away our error messages......

When they found out that we were behind that prank, somehow the ICT guys were able to disable that net send command..... But it was still a good joke everybody laughed about later!!!
Last edited by nomko on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Nice one Nomko :lol:
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Well yes, I loosely remind net send pranks from my last "school". Too bad they recorded the IP.
hattpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hattpa »

I know exactly what you mean. I work in IT, and this week am on-call. I had an urgent call this morning about a system being unavailable. Start my Windows VM (won't have it installed at home, and the first thing it does is announce that it's configuring....half an hour later I could finally look into the issue for work. Totally disgraceful the way updates are forced out by MS..Long live Linux
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain
Coetzee

Post by Coetzee »

t: You have a picnic problem
c: What is a picnic problem?
t: Problem In Chair Not In Computer
Last edited by Coetzee on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Coetzee wrote:t: You have a picnic problem
c: What is a picnic problem?
t: problem in chair not in computer
:?: :?
wanderer7

Post by wanderer7 »

I found this on serverfault.com (I underlined the important parts):
I am using Ubuntu 10.10.

I am generally good with computers but mostly with Windows, I'm not very familiar with Ubuntu. I'm trying to setup a website and I'm talking with a friend I have who works for a school IT department who is giving me advice.

He told me that I need to open a command-prompt and type in sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start but when I do all I see is sudo: /etc/init.d/apache2: command not found.

I told my friend the error and he said that my file /dev/null was full, so I tried to find it but it's a hidden file. I know how to view hidden files in Windows but not in Ubuntu.

My friend is offline now so I'm hoping someone can tell me how to delete my /dev/null? Thanks!
Now, that was a wicked joke. When someone isn't familiar with Unix or GNU/Linux yet, they don't have to know what dev/null is. There was a time when I didn't know it either. But still, it was funny when I first saw it. :mrgreen:
jahid

Post by jahid »

True/Flase:

1. Microsoft Windows is/are plural
2. Microsoft Windows is/are singular

Too much confusion guys, what are they, I mean it, no, may be they... :?
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

jahid wrote:True/Flase:
1. Microsoft Windows is/are plural
2. Microsoft Windows is/are singular
Too much confusion guys, what are they, I mean it, no, may be they... :?
Hard to say, I understand that with W8 you can only open two at a time. So it's hardly "Windows" anymore and therefore just barely plural. Twindows is more like it. This is a great reason to be bamboozled into upgrading your hardware, huh?

:D

Return to “Open Chat”