problem using all of SD card

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WaltH

problem using all of SD card

Post by WaltH »

I recently installed Linux Mint 5.0r1, and I'm liking it so far, except for one quirk (at least I think it's a quirk). We recently bought a camera that uses SD cards, and we bought a 2.0GB card to go with it. I have a SanDisk reader which Mint recognizes just fine, but when I try to put files onto the card, it allows me to put 1.0 GB on it and then says the card it full even though the File Browser says there is 876 MB still available. Any idea how I can utilize that space? Thanks.

Walt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: problem using all of SD card

Post by 67GTA »

It's hard to say without actually playing with the card. Some of them have hidden folders on them from the factory, like trash folders. I have seen some that have more than one partition(2 1GB's). Make sure the hidden folders are set to be shown in nautilus while viewing the card, and see if there is something hidden on the card. If not, I would use the partition manager to reformat the whole card and see if you can make one big partition. It could be vfat, fat16, fat32. Just see what format it is in before you erase it, so you will know what filetype to reformat it in.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
WaltH

Post by WaltH »

I ran into the same problem with the card on my Windows machine at work. After some more searching on the net, I figured out it was the way the card was formatted. It was formatted as FAT. I reformatted it as FAT32. and I was able to use the entire card (at least at work). I think the problem is solved, but I'll need to check it on my home machines to be sure. Thanks.

Walt
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

I've just bought a Fujifilm DCR2-161 card reader and two 2.1GB Olympus xD cards - the instructions say, format the card in your camera.

If cards are formatted in the card reader to suit the PC, perhaps there could be incompatibility with the camera?

I have difficulties which I'm describing in another post.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.

Return to “Hardware Support”