MIDI playback on Mint 17 - SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gingertom5005

MIDI playback on Mint 17 - SOLVED

Post by gingertom5005 »

I have just installed Mint 17 Mate 64 bit on my system having running Mint 13 32 bit very satisfactorily.

My problem is that I can't now play MIDI files. I have installed Timidity but to no avail. When I try to play MIDI files all get is a message that says first that the system is trying to find multimedia plugins and then says it needs gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad (i386). Any ideas how I can get my MIDI files to play?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: MIDI playback on Mint 17

Post by gtsfer »

If I remember this correctly Timidity runs from the command line. See this link... http://blog.thameera.com/playing-midi-files-in-ubuntu/. There are other midi players that should be available right through Synaptic Package Manager. Playmidi is one that I saw, you can search in SPM and see what's easily available for your distro.
gingertom5005

Post by gingertom5005 »

Thanks for this but it hasn't solved the problem.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

You'd probably be ok installing gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad from Synaptic Package Manager (if it shows up in your Cinnamon 17 64-bit). The name is misleading a little, the description (in Synaptic or via a Google search) says...

"GStreamer Bad Plug-ins is a set of plug-ins that aren't up to par compared
to the rest. They might be close to being good quality, but they're missing
something - be it a good code review, some documentation, a set of tests, a
real live maintainer, or some actual wide use."

As it turns out I have it installed myself in LMDE so it's not going to break your system. :) Just thought I'd suggest something else as this isn't the best plugin, but it's what Timidity uses. I forget why I needed to installed it myself (it wasn't for Timidity) but it's being used in one of my audio applications or other.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

You have 2 options:

1. See my previous post: http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=154394 regarding the requirements for Timidity.

2. Install the plugin for VLC

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install vlc-plugin-fluidsynth
Then you can get midi playback via VLC
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
gingertom5005

Post by gingertom5005 »

Wow - works fine, thanks. VLC is fine for the MIDI files now.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: MIDI playback on Mint 17 - SOLVED

Post by kyphi »

Timidity and its interfaces coupled with freepats work well too, you know.

Anyway, I am glad that you can enjoy your midi files. Have you looked at Warren Trachtman's site: http://www.trachtman.org/ragtime/
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
gtsfer

Re: MIDI playback on Mint 17 - SOLVED

Post by gtsfer »

kyphi wrote:Timidity and its interfaces coupled with freepats work well too, you know.
Kyphi, that's an excellent and easy fix. I had no idea that this VLC plugin worked for midi. Bookmarked for future reference. :)

Return to “Sound”