More sound problems

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: More sound problems

Post by Husse »

You have rather unusual hardware - not said to defend Elyssa, just a statement
Given this and your description I think it might be a kernel problem
Can you tell us which kernel Fedora has (uname -r but you know that given 10 years with Linux :))
I think it's newer....
2.6.24-19 can be found in mintUpdate if you enable level 4 and 5
Remember that upgrading the kernel can break "anything"
This is to give me a starting point of sorts as your errors does not ring a bell. Most sound problems are with Intel and the HDA6 and forward chips
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Unusual hardware - it was ages since I last bumped into some ALI chip...
The levels - no I did not mean booting into some run level - and Ubuntu abandoned run levels with the version before Edgy (can't remember what it was called)
I meant that you open mintUpdate and in preferences enabled level 4 and 5 which are considered "unsafe" - of course with a new kernel you should have an option to boot with the old one in grub
The Fedora kernel is 2.6.25 a bit newer than Mint's kernel
Husse

Post by Husse »

Fedora and Ubuntu (and so far we use the Ubuntu kernel right off) evolves "out of sync" so the next time Ubuntu may have a newer kernel than Fedora
And I've seen that message a few times and do some googling on the device is busy because that's where you'll find the solution
I have to go to work shortly so I must leave it for now, but I'll mark it as "Unsolved" and return

Return to “Hardware Support”