HOW TO: Brother 32/64-bit Printer Drivers (and AirPrint!)

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules

Did this solve your problem?

Yes, thanks!
79%
No (elaborate on what you need help with)
21%

Total votes: 19

CupOfCoffee

Re: HOW TO: Brother 32/64-bit Printer Drivers (and AirPrint!

Post by CupOfCoffee »

Using this guide, now I have successfully connected my Brother MFC-7440N to CUPS! Now I can print~

I need to bookmark this somehow...

Thanks Bonjour!
dick@mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dick@mint »

Many thanks to BonjourPrinter! I have succesfully added my networkprinter Brother DCP-J315W to an Ubuntu-machine ánd to a LinuxMint-machine. But I have to add that the downloading of the patch file and turning it into a .sh file & running it did NOT work for me. The shell didn't recognize brdpkgdeldep.sh. Instead I downloaded the installer, and followed these instructions on the brother site:
Linux-brprinter-installer

Step1. Download the tool.(linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz)
The tool will be downloaded into the default "Download" directory.
(The directory location varies depending on your Linux distribution.)
e.g. /home/(LoginName)/Download

Step2. Open a terminal window and go to the directory you downloaded the file to in the last step.

Step3. Enter this command to extract the downloaded file:
Command: gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz

Step4. Get superuser authorization with the "su" command or "sudo su" command.

Step5. Run the tool:
Command: bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1 Brother machine name

Step6. The driver installation will start. Follow the installation screen directions.

When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI ?",
For USB Users: Choose N(No)
For Network Users: Choose Y(Yes) and DeviceURI.
The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is complete.
In LinuxMint I didn't even have to go to http://localhost:631 to modify the printer. In Ubuntu I DID have to do that, probably because my ubuntu is on a 64-bit AMD machine, while Mint is on a 32-bit one.
So I suppose the Linux-guys at Brother got their act together, hm?
Joe_B_wan

Post by Joe_B_wan »

BonjourPrinter wrote: * Go to http://localhost:631/ in a browser and go to the Printers tab and select the HL2270DW.
I just bought the HL2270DW printer yesterday on Kentucky Derby day.

Firefox won't go there. Instead it reads:

Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:631

I'm running Mint 9 Isadora and Firefox (20.0) for Linux Mint 1.0

I'm checking the firewall and will be back after my work day.

(I think I'm missing something, just can't figure out what it is.)

Joe_B_wan
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Joe;

so you have bought the HL2240 and you want to install the drivers?

have you installed any drivers yet?

Brother provide an installer; its intent is to do all the work for you; if you want to use that, I can point you to where to get it; and I can cover the instructions; (it might be simpler for you than the bonjour script)
Joe_B_wan

Post by Joe_B_wan »

pdc_2 wrote:Hi Joe;

so you have bought the HL2240 and you want to install the drivers?

have you installed any drivers yet?

Brother provide an installer; its intent is to do all the work for you; if you want to use that, I can point you to where to get it; and I can cover the instructions; (it might be simpler for you than the bonjour script)
Hello Friend,

Everything's installed (lpr/cups), ready to go except...

lpinfo: connection refused
lpadmin: unable to connect to server: connection refused
lpr: connection refused

That's why I was attracted to the OP's solution.

What's the command to see if my PC knows
there's a printer hooked up?

Thanks for your interest and time.

Joe_B_wan
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

HL-2240

Post by pdc_2 »

perhaps it would be localhost:631/printers/ .......can you paste this into a spare browser window...........

your intent is the printer is wireless? and will connect wirelessly to your computer?
Joe_B_wan

Re: HL-2240

Post by Joe_B_wan »

pdc_2 wrote:
perhaps it would be localhost:631/printers/ .......can you paste this into a spare browser window...........

your intent is the printer is wireless? and will connect wirelessly to your computer?
Hello Friend,

Now the localhost:631 shows up and right now I'm just using the USB
cable instead of wireless.

PRINTER IS NOW WORKING because...

I was under the impression that all I had to do was go to Brother,
download the installer and that would be it. Welll...

In Synaptic I could see the lpr and the cups drivers for the printer
were installed, however lpr and cups were not.

I proceeded to download cups and part way I remembered I read
somewhere that you are supposed to download lpr FIRST. So I
cancelled the cups download, and went with lpr. I added magicfilter,
appsfilter, and ghostscript. And that download took care of cups also.

After installation, it searched for the drivers, found them and I'm in
business.

Only two small problems left: After printing a page, the bottom line
of page one and the top line of page two are truncated. Also the pages
turn from top-to-bottom instead of from side-to-side.

I'm confident I'll figure it out.

Thank you for your time and interest.

Keep smiling and laugh often.

Joe_B_wan
jabedoe

Post by jabedoe »

Hi guys,

I've tried everything that's been listed up above.
Printing via USB connection works fine, but then Modifying the printer via CUPS doesn't succeed, in the way that CUPS doesn't discover any network printers... :?
I've been trying loads of things, including point 5 of the official Brother website after downloading the CUPS driver, but my printer still doesn't respond. Ping with the printer's IP address seems to work, either (I'm pretty sure it is the right IP address, as I have printed the Network Configuration from the printer a couple of hours ago)

I am becoming desperate :(
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi jabadoe

you need to start a new thread; tell us what machine you have; etc etc
bobww99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobww99 »

"From the Administration submenu, select "Modify Printer" and log in with your linux administrator account, then wait a while for it to discover networked printers via Bonjour/mDNS."

" You should see four duplicates of the HL-2270DW under "Discovered Network Printers", and you won't know what protocol each is without selecting it."

7-17-14
No way to complete this post as recommended above. This post should be marked not follow able due to updated web site alterations/changes. This step cannot be followed because there is no "Modify Printer" in the Linux administrator account. I found some of the "Modify Printer" somewhere else (can't remember where) and manage to find another cups stumbling block. Can not proceed from there because there are not four choices but many more all non informative to a new Linux user.
Cups has changed its interface drastically since this post was written. Do not follow it. It will confuse you more.
I wish administrators of these sites would try to clean them up. Perhaps they are swamped? I will post and flag this mess to their attention. ---I will hold up on this until I get feed back.
I may be wrong so I apologize.
Bob
7-18-14
I received a reply:
There is no violation of forum rules. You're reporting a topic from 2012. Many topics from 2012 would need changes to work today and I take it most users understand time doesn't stand still. We're not going to delete posts.
This make sense. I guess its up to users to flag old and incorrect information. Makes sense. No administrators time to edit or delete incorrect dated posts.
Bob

7-23-14
Please see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 66#p895566
for additional up dated information.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Oh, thank you so much for this! Got both of my printers ... MFC J410 as well as Konica Minolta 1600W ... working by following your instructions. I never had a problem with Brother printers in the past, but WiFi printing was never explained anywhere in an easy to follow manner, least not that I could find. This made it so simple ... Install printer on primary or host machine ... go to localhost:631 to enable sharing ... then go to machine that's supposed to print via WiFi and search for printer there ... NO PROBLEM. :D

The only thing that wasn't perfectly clear to me, was wether or not the printer had to be physically installed on the remote computer? I did install it first, but I never installed the Konica Minolta. Yet both of the printers showed up in the remote machine. Printed a test page with the Brother, works fantastic! Checked my printer settings, and both printers were there as well. Maybe only Mint 17 is this flawless? Don't know, but I'm very pleased. Thank you so much!
PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
rogerr

Post by rogerr »

Hi - managed at long last to get my wired Brother 2270DW connected on the lan thanks to this forum (and the learned contributors!).

Only query I have is why the printer status is always shown as "Idle - Waiting for printer to finish". It will accept a print job ok but it seems to hesitate for a minute or so whereas another Windows PC on the lan prints straight. away.
jabedoe

Post by jabedoe »

Dear all,

In the end I managed to make my own printer work in wireless configuration as well.
I'm just posting this to help other people overcoming the same hurdles as me and losing less time.

To make it work, I had to do some additional stuff:
1. Install apparmor-utils to do

Code: Select all

sudo aa-complain cupsd
2. Make a directory

sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model
(1 and 2 are prerequisites from the Brother website for Debian/Ubuntu 8.04 and more)
3. Like Joe_B_wan mentionned, install lpr and cups before trying to make the lpr and cupswrapper packages work :wink:
4. Do not do

sudo gedit /etc/printcap
like described on the Brother website, it is ineffective because always changed when you modify any printer
5. The brdpkgdeldep.gz package can be hard to catch if you delete cookies (link always pointed to country selection page), so here is a better one I think: http://www.brother.com/cgi-bin/agreemen ... nglish_lpr
6. To convert the 32bit packages to 64bit using brdpkgdeldep, type

sudo chmod +x brdpkgdeldep
inside the terminal and NOT inside the file (because newbies like me tend to do that kind of stuff :lol: ) By the way, mentionning the .sh extension was ineffecTotive for me! It only worked without it because Linux already knew it was a Shell Script!
7. To make printer discovery possible via Bonjour/mDNS, make sure you have installed Avahi !

sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon
8. And last but not least... Your firewall can be blocking the signals between your printer and your PC!!! That is what has been blocking me for a while :cry: So PLEASE make sure Port 9100 remains open for the PDL Datastream to show up in your discovered printers and to work! :) And like jzsmart3 said, you need to have opened port 631 even before that to access CUPS.

So this worked for my Brother DCP7070DW printer with the 2011 versions of the drivers available on the Brother website. Yet, they have also released a newer generic version of those in March 2014, and I didn't get them to work properly. CUPS states: "File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/brother_lpdwrapper_BrGenML1" has insecure permissions (0100755/uid=1000/gid=0)." If anybody can help me, I'd be glad.

And maukka, how did you make network scanning work? I haven't found any explanation anywhere :(

Thanks guys!
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

I was able to get my Brother MFC-J430W working wirelessly on Mint 17 Cinnamon using the "Driver Install Tool", which did seems to work well in installing the printer and scanner drivers... after managing to decode the less-than-clear instructions.

Note: The printer had already been set up wirelessly with Windows Vista.

From the Brother website:
Step5. Run the tool:
Command: bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* Brother machine name
What this means is that for the MFC-J430W, the commans is bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* MFC-J430W

Next part:
Step6. The driver installation will start. Follow the installation screen directions.

What the instructions don't tell you is that you'll be presented with a list of 11-14 items to select from... :roll:

After some fiddling about, I found that the "IP:" (specify IP address) was the one I needed to select for my wireless connection.
The current printer IP address can be determined from the printer front panel by selecting Menu -> Network -> TCP/IP -> IP Address.

Once this was selected, the printer and scanner drivers were sucessfully installed.
CogSci

Post by CogSci »

Ranthe wrote:I was able to get my Brother MFC-J430W working wirelessly on Mint 17 Cinnamon using the "Driver Install Tool", which did seems to work well in installing the printer and scanner drivers... after managing to decode the less-than-clear instructions.

Note: The printer had already been set up wirelessly with Windows Vista.

From the Brother website:
Step5. Run the tool:
Command: bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* Brother machine name
What this means is that for the MFC-J430W, the commans is bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* MFC-J430W

Next part:

What the instructions don't tell you is that you'll be presented with a list of 11-14 items to select from... :roll:

After some fiddling about, I found that the "IP:" (specify IP address) was the one I needed to select for my wireless connection.
The current printer IP address can be determined from the printer front panel by selecting Menu -> Network -> TCP/IP -> IP Address.

Once this was selected, the printer and scanner drivers were sucessfully installed.
Thank you! This post helped me installing the correct printer driver for my HL-2270DW in Mint 17 Cinnamon (64bit). Works great now, even while running a VPN. Previously I had to restart my wifi connection every time I wanted to print. Oh happy day! :-)
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Geeez, I'm about ready to lose my mind here !!! :evil: My MFC-J410W was working perfectly during Mint 16 as well as Mint 17. Had it working in Mint 17.1 as well until after my last updates from a few days ago. Ever since then no matter what I do, that printer will not work. I've tried the manual from scratch installation without any error messages which installed the printer, but there were "unknown errors" since the printer dialogue box didn't give me anything specific.

Deleted the printer, rebooted, tried to install just the primary file requirements, followed by pointing the printer setup to my own ppd file which has worked for me for about 2 years, before I found this forum link and started going with that instead. Nope, although printer shows up as installed it still won't print. Again, no specific message that might provide a better clue. Just the stupid exclamation mark symbol letting me know that there's a problem.

Then I installed with the Brother Printer installation tool which completed perfectly ... but I noticed some errors in the terminal having to do with "error can't find folders var/lpd/spool/printermodel" so I was stuck once again, even though the printer showed up as installed. Deleted the printer, installed the folders manually as root and then provided permissions to my user name for access to those folders. Used the Brother Printer install again ... zero errors anywhere ... and still the gosh durn thing won't work even though it shows up as installed.
This is driving me nuts! I'm 5 - 6 hours into this since yesterday ... :evil:

EDIT: Apparently there's some type of bug or strange quirk when trying to print *AFTER* my wife is logged into her Windoze7 Workstation with a WindowsXP Virtual Box mounted on top of Win7 (employer requirement). I call it a quirk or a bug because neither of my two printers showed up in her virtual environment, nor in her Win7 setup either after she logged in again the following morning. Yet the printers showed up in my Mint/XFCE machine as they should, but could not be made to work. Once she logged off completely and shut the machine down, my printers "magically re-appeared" and began working again. No idea what caused this weirdness, just glad to have my printers back (and I never rebooted my system since last night either).

PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Here we are again, 8 months later ... Wife and I are both on latest updates with Mint 17.2 (XFCE) ... and the printer will only work on one system or the other whenever it feels like it. It's definitely a bug since the printer sometimes works immediately without having to do anything special, other times the printer "doesn't exist" on the same system where it was recently used, still other times it'll work on the second system while providing access "permission denied" errors on the second setup ... all of this in no particular order, regardless if a system was freshly rebooted or not. It is in my opinion, after 6 years full time with Linux, the single area of irritation for which a universal solution is desperately required.

There's simply no point in switching from Windows to Linux for business purposes, if you can't use a printer that's needed nearly every day ... RELIABLY !!! Geez, I can't even begin to guess at the hours of time that were lost in the past 10 months between reboots, printer deletions, new printer installs, tweaking printer configurations, etc. etc. etc. Very exasperated about this printer issue !!! Today was yet another one of many times where my printer inexplicably stopped working no matter what. Had to forward the file to my wife's machine in the same house and connected to the same router, where it then printed without a problem.
But how many people have more than one setup in the same house where this can be made to work? :roll: :x :cry:

Return to “Tutorials”