Again - no analog sound <Solved>

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mintboxfan

Again - no analog sound <Solved>

Post by Mintboxfan »

I have installed Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon as dual boot with Windows 7 on a Mintbox 2. Sound first worked fine on plugged in external speakers. However this stopped suddenly, I suspect after a a system update. Also sound does no longer work with Windows 7. Pavucontrol monitors analog stereo unplugged. Windows 7 also says no headphone connected.

But when I run Ubuntu from disc sound works! So there is a driver not a hw problem. Any help (understandble for a newebee) is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Mintboxfan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: Again - no analog sound

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

strange how could an update screw you windows 7? Except if the update is a bios one (only thing common between the 2 OS)

Driver page (pretty old as the newer OS have already the best fit)
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false

Check the cables again and in windows check the sound settings, it might be a hardware failure...
Mintboxfan

Post by Mintboxfan »

As mentioned - external speakers on analog sound worked fine until a Linux system update - unfortunately I cannot localize which..

And analog sound still works with recent ubuntu from a dvd.

Currently I am using external usb speakers with Mint and Windows - so it is not a Codec problem.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

ok,

let me rephrase, how can a linux update screw a windows 7 installation? Please provide anykind of info you may have on the subject.
You always need a codec be it inside connection or outside. The chip that handles audio is on the motherboard.
Not trying to be funny but I have 2 of the boxes and stripped one appart just for fun (it's a basic pc with a nice plastic cover) and both of them are up to date working as we speak.
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/mint ... fications/
Mintboxfan

Post by Mintboxfan »

I again started Ubuntu try from DVD. It announced itself loud and clear in headphones connected. But then - oh wonder, analog sound had dissapeared in system settings - and of course did not work anymore. The same, by the way, when starting Mint from disc.

In windows I can hear sound in the headphones when i put control on maximum, but it is very distorted and the sound panel reports that no headphones are connected.
Mintboxfan

Post by Mintboxfan »

Here the newest test:

I run Mint 16 Cimarron from usb stick. Analog sound loud and clear in headphones. Playing music ok. The headphones applet shows analog sound as output device. But when pressing the sound button in the start menu only digital output is shown!

Leaving the headphone attached and booting from GRUB everything as already described.

So hardware and cables etc. are ok!

So what might happen: Mint causes the HM76 System Controller Hub to a faulty setting of the ALC888 ?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

All the above doesn't make sense from a software point of view.
Even when booted from usb it's not as it should be.
Sometimes hardware is corrupted (faulty but just a bit like when it gets hotter or colder) generally it get's worse overtime.
Is it still under warranty?
Just tried Mint 16 on a usb and had no problem with sound so I'm out of ideas.
If you get it working again let me know
Thanks
Mintboxfan

Post by Mintboxfan »

Thank you for your suggestions. Eventually I'll try a clean install. For the time being I will stick with the usb speaker though it doesn't have stereo.
Mintboxfan
Mintboxfan

Post by Mintboxfan »

@ PatH57:
I found the problem - faulty hw: The audio output female connector did not made electric contact with the speaker plug - probably I plugged it in and out to often. I had to to open the mintbox and do a little bending of the contact sheet. That cured the problem hopefully for the time being.
PatH57

Re: Again - no analog sound <Solved>

Post by PatH57 »

Thank God (sorry)
I thought the gods of troubleshooting had left me alone :cry:

Return to “Sound”