Menu Bar & Mouse Right button menu become unfunctional

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
man_without_clue

Menu Bar & Mouse Right button menu become unfunctional

Post by man_without_clue »

Hi,

New to Linux Mint. I just installed Mint 16 Xfce yesterday.
While I really am impressed by Mint, I got some minor problem few times when I was using firefox and thunderbird.
All the sudden the menu bar and mouse' right button menu become unfunctional meaning that when I go to the main menu and try to select by left clicking, nothing shows up. When this happenes, Mouse right click menu also show nothing...

Any solution?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schievelbein
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Menu Bar & Mouse Right button menu become unfunctional

Post by Schievelbein »

I was using Mint 15 until 3 days ago when I did an update on my computer and I now have exact same issue.
My system was a 13/14/15 system, so I just went ahead and did an erase & free install.
I still have the issue.

Curiosity --- is your system 64bit?
Do you have an Nvidia GX460 video card also?
Are you using a Logitech mouse also?

I cant believe we are the only two people with the issue.
man_without_clue

I just installed Mint 13 Maya, 32 bit. I wanted stability, so I choose this one however same problem occurs.

I don't know if this happens to other applications or not yet. Not only menu bar, but aloso mouse right click menu disappears.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Not sure, but could be that you need to install proprietary graphics driver. Check to see if one is available for your system. If so, install it.

Under Mint Xfce 16: Menu -> System -> Driver Manager
(Cinnamon and others might be under: Menu -> Administration -> Driver Manager)

Let it load and check system -- it will then display any proprietary drivers available. If none shown, then none available for your system.

Under Mint Xfce 13: Menu -> Settings -> Additional Drivers
(Not sure where in Menu that is for other desktops.)

Reboot computer after installing new graphics driver and hopefully that solves the problem.
man_without_clue

I'm using Geforce 7600GS and 32 bit system.

I didn't know Mint has this "Additional Driver" feature...wow. I just installed and activated proprietary driver. See if this makes difference or not.

Anyway, thanks a lot for teaching me this.
man_without_clue

I am sad to announce that this problem still occurs after installation of nVidia proprietary driver....

So, it's not because of the video draiver, must be something else...
Could it be something to do with Xfce??
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

man_without_clue wrote:I am sad to announce that this problem still occurs after installation of nVidia proprietary driver....

So, it's not because of the video draiver, must be something else...
Could it be something to do with Xfce??
Sorry to here that. I don't really know what could be causing that. As a shot in the dark: if you're using a wireless mouse, is it possible that the batteries are getting low? Try using a new battery to make sure that's not the problem.
man_without_clue

No, I am not using wireless mouse or anything, jus plain old wired mouse and keyboard.

I still don't know if same problem occurs on other applications or not, but everytime this happens, I have to close and restart firefox.

I don't know this happens on other desktop, I only use Xfce but happened on both Mint 13 and 16.
wapok147
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wapok147 »

Hey

I am using Firefox under Mint 16 KDE and I have the exact same problem. It's quite annoying as it seems to happen quite frequently and the only solution is to close all instances of Firefox and restart them one by one.

I'm also having the same problem, although much less frequent with Mozilla Thunderbird: the menus just don't expand and right click menus don't appear.
man_without_clue

oh, ok. So it's not Xfce problem...

Somebody's got to report this as bug...I just don't know how.

This problem never happens on Debian...
wapok147
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wapok147 »

I had a look at the defects already logged in firefox web site, and non seem to look like the problem we've got.

There's chances this is actually not a Firefox problem but something related to the add-ons or extensions.

Have you figured which particular usage pattern triggers the problem? Because I haven't.

The next step is to use Firefox and Thunderbird in "safe mode" and see if the problem still appears.

To run Firefox in safe mode: launch whichever equivalent of Krunner you have in xfce (Alt-F2) and type "firefox -safe-mode".

Let's see what happens...

More about the safe mode here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... -safe-mode
man_without_clue

Firefox updated, now 27.0.

This problem still occurs.

I really don't know why...
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

I still don't know the answer to problem, but found this post where someone said that a Firefox addon ended up causing similar problems (see post #7): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2058660. If you've got a few addons, try disabling one at a time to see if the problem goes away.

Here's a bug report on exactly your issue: Right Click stops working randomly. Someone on post #5 seems to suggest something that solved the issue. Have a look at that if an addon is not the culprit.
rbbernardino

Post by rbbernardino »

Hello! What happens to me is that right after opening firefox it is ok, works. But after some minutes it just stop working. So if I really need it I just restart firefox.
I couldn't solve the problem, but at least can use the context menu.
man_without_clue

As of July 2014, I upgraded to Mint 17Xfce.
No more this problem appears.

So, I just say, good bye, Mint 13

Return to “Software & Applications”