[Solved] How to install Kid3 or similar in Mint 17

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mint2be

[Solved] How to install Kid3 or similar in Mint 17

Post by Mint2be »

Hey all. Newbie here.

How can I install Kid3 on my Linux Mint 17. I downloaded it already, but don't know how to get it installed. OR, can someone recommend a good tag editor that will rename the files/save them to specific folders.

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WinterTroubles

Re: How to install Kid3 or similar in Mint 17

Post by WinterTroubles »

Where did you download it from, if I may ask?

Kid3 is available for automatic download and install in the Software Manager and Synaptic Package Manager, both built in to Mint as standard. :D

The Software Manager is a bit like an app store, except it's all free :D

Unlike Windows there is often no need to go to websites looking for software, the software in the Software Manager and Synaptic Package Manager are all safe and kept updated automatically, as stable software versions which shouldn't break your machine.

Oh.. Software Manager and Synaptic Package Manager are two different user interfaces to access the same core software management tools within Mint, so which one you use is simply about preference :)

My advice is to delete the files you downloaded for Kid3 and then use one of the interfaces I mentioned once or twice above :lol:

Hope this helps.
Mint2be

[Solved] Re: How to install Kid3 or similar in Mint 17

Post by Mint2be »

I decided to use apt install Kid3 and that did the trick. I thought I had looked in the software manager for it and couldn't find it, but not in the Synaptics. Anyway, thanks. Hopefully I can learn how to use it now. In Windows, the player I used could rename the file, create a folder of the Artists names, and send the file to my default folder. Any idea how to do that?
Last edited by Mint2be on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

.. and apt install uses the system tools directly. You so obviously didn't need the beginners lesson, sorry :lol:

I'm afraid I've not used it, I just remembered seeing it the other day when looking for something else. The best I can do is offer the link to the Kid3 handbook http://kid3.sourceforge.net/kid3_en.html, Hope that helps.
Mint2be

Post by Mint2be »

So far, I've learned how to tag (sort of) and rename the file, but still don't know how to send them to my preferred folder. In my Windows player, for example: I have Backup Music/Newest Songs that I save my new songs to (clever, huh?) When I click rename it creates a folder of the Artist and auto sends files to it in the "Newest Music" folder . So, I would have Newest Music/Some Singer/acoolsong.mp3.

Return to “Sound”