download of .mint files

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cornelis

download of .mint files

Post by cornelis »

Is it possible to download the .mint files to your local disk.
You have 2 install options:
- install
- download of the .mint file

Whatever you do with downloading. Always a 290bytes small file.
However, installing directly never is a problem.
I am using Mint5 (Elyssa). Do anyone have this problem solved?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: download of .mint files

Post by 67GTA »

A .mint file only contains the information and sources to download and install software. If you only download a .mint file, you still have to open it with mintinstall. Mint uses .deb files for software installation with dpkg via apt/synaptic.(same as Debian/Ubuntu). For example, if you want to install Firefox with mintinstall, it uses the instructions in the .mint file to know where to get the firefox.deb and all of the other packages required to make it work. If you want to download the firefox package to your hard drive, then you will have to download the firefox.deb package here: http://packages.linuxmint.com/ I hope I didn't confuse you more :D
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
cornelis

Re: download of .mint files

Post by cornelis »

Thanks, that is a clear answer.
Indeed I thought this was the clue. I was just confused that clicking the "install" button gives you 2 options: install | save

Thanks again,C

Return to “Software & Applications”