X Server: unable to detect

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: X Server: unable to detect

Post by 67GTA »

To help narrow down the possibilities, what install methods have you tried?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I just checked and your card should be supported by the xorg-driver-fglrx package in the repos. You should be able to install it using Envy. Without knowing what you've tried already, and what modules you've got loaded, it is hard to say what will work at this point.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Envy is installed by default. It is in the menu. It should install and configure it for you. If you have trouble with Envy, just post back, and we will try to run down the problem. It looks like the error you posted was from trying to install the driver from the ATI site. We won't have to worry about it since it didn't install. I used to fight with the ATI drivers all the time before I switched to Nvidia.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Envy supports Mint. When you reboot, and it tells you that it is running in low graphics mode, it should have a "configure" button. Use that to set your graphics card/monitor. It should be fine after rebooting.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

It sounds like the driver is installed, but the new xorg is giving you trouble. Did Envy give you any error messages? You might also need to run

Code: Select all

sudo aticonfig --initial
in a terminal, and try rebooting before you give up. Another possibility would be to boot up your Daryna CD, and copy your xorg.conf file to use in Elyssa. The problem most people face now is that xorg.conf has been reduced to a reference file. The new xorg uses dbus and hal to detect your hardware at each boot. It also uses xrandr to detect your monitor. If any piece of your hardware isn't supported or detected correctly, then it's hard to get it set up because xorg tries to overwrite everything at the next boot. If you are one of the lucky ones that have hardware/monitor that's properly detected, you can actually run without a xorg.conf file.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

sudo apt-get install build-essential
and try installing the driver from ati again.
achilleus

Post by achilleus »

Hello there my friends

I have the same problem with linux mint elyssa and a radeon 9250. I just can't bring this card to work properly with linux mint. I've tried to install the ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run and i got the same message as "sheds". also envy didn't work..--> same errormessage as "sheds" had.

i just followed your latest answer and ran the command

sudo apt-get install build-essential
but it didn't work either...

thats what i got.. again just like before:
./ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run
Creating directory fglrx-install
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.28.8....................................................
-e ==================================================
-e ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
-e ==================================================
Detected configuration:
Architecture: i686 (32-bit)
X Server: unable to detect
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”