mintUpdate conflict?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akshunj

mintUpdate conflict?

Post by akshunj »

mintUpdate has marked the package X11-common as a Level 3 update and wants to upgrade it. However, the xorg and xserver-xorg packages are marked as Level 4, and won't be updated. They are both the same version number, and want to be upgraded to the same version number. Will upgrading X11-common break Xorg, or will mintUpdate grab all the dependencies it needs and overrule the Level 4 status?

--Akshun J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: mintUpdate conflict?

Post by Husse »

X11 common is some kind of helper package - won't break anything or at least should not break anything
When you come to the box where you finally click Apply you can check for Not verified, Updated, Installed and Not changed
In the last category you find X and the kernel....
Always read the short description for each package and then check the Not verified and so on
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Husse wrote:X11 common is some kind of helper package - won't break anything or at least should not break anything
When you come to the box where you finally click Apply you can check for Not verified, Updated, Installed and Not changed
In the last category you find X and the kernel....
Always read the short description for each package and then check the Not verified and so on
Thanks for the reply. I understand all of that. I just wanted to know the basic logic that mintUpdate follows if a Level 3 update is dependent on a Level 4 update that wouldn't ordinarily be marked for upgrade. I figured I could just check what's going on in that final dialog box you're talking about, but I still didn't want to risk breaking Xorg if it failed to update a critical dependency...

--Akshun J
Husse

Post by Husse »

Actually X11 common does not depend on a level 4 update - it "stands on its own"
I applied it and no problems
I apply all level 1,2 and 3 updates as soon as I get them. In case there is something odd I know that early on and I have complete backups of my system - no longer everyday but every other day or so
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Sweet. That's what I needed to know. Thanks!

--Akshun J

Return to “Software & Applications”