[SOLVED!!]AAAA!!! NOT SOLVED!!! MINT AND WINDOWS DIED!!!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

HI
Try this
Just when you get the error message press Ctrl + Alt + F1
then login
and now run sudo envy
and install your drivers, ( y )to everything, you are done!
Do not uninstall the driver first envy will take care of that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

But other than that your system is still "working"? Can you boot the Mint CD in "Live CD" mode? I suppose this would work? You could then mount your Linux HD and take the error log from there and post this here.

Another idea might be to force your X.org to reconfigure itself. So when your system boots (from the HD) and X crashes, can you press ALT+F2 so you get to a console login? Please log in with your normal account (i.e. the same you would use when you login via the GUI). You will be greeted with a command shell. Once you're there type in this command:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org
... it will ask you for your password.

I am not 100% sure if this works, but my hope is that this would at least give you a minimum screen resolution so you can more or less work with the system again ... It's way easier to fix all the remaining problems from there onwards. Can you try that please?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

cool_gamer8119 wrote:ok... it is fixed... frank392's idea worked... thanks!!
oh, Cool :D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

cool_gamer8119 wrote:Can anyone tell me what went wrong?
Sounds like a hardware problem to me :shock: Because whatever you do in Linux shouldn't have any influence whatsoever in Windows and vice versa (unless you format disk partitions and stuff like that ...). Maybe your card's cooling is insufficient? :? It overheated and that's why it went bye bye in both Linux and Windows ... I have the same problem in two of my machines, both with NVidia cards. I had to remove parts of the casings so that these two machines are constantly open. Or else that hot air building up inside wouldn't be able to get out ... Maybe you have a similar problem? Those graphics cards can really get very very hot (especially when doing 3D accelerated stuff!) and when they overheat they tend to behave strangely or may even get damaged ... whick kinda sucks :roll:

Maybe it would be worth checking how hot your PC gets in the inside, just to be sure it's no heat problem?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

cool_gamer8119 wrote:... i am just worried about what windows will do to grub
It will overwrite it!! It's Microsoft standard policy :twisted: Non-Microsoft boot loaders always get overwritten :? ... So much for the bad news. The good news: It's easy to get grub back :D ... e.g. with the Live CD it's just a matter of typing three or so commands into the terminal and grub is back as if nothing had happened.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Recov ... ingWindows
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Another way to fix this in a quick way would be the "Super GRUB" Live CD ... Instructions here:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/ ... kPage.html

... the short version (taken from help.ubuntu.com above) would be:
  • * Download the Super Grub Disk from here: http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/
    * Burn into a cdrom (better) or a floppy
    * Boot from it
    * Select: your language
    * Select: Linux
    * Select: Fix Boot of Linux (GRUB)
    * You see the message: SGD has done it!
    * Reboot
    * You're done.
Sounds pretty easy I think 8)

Regards,
scorp123
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

fyi... in a normal case setup cooling should be better with the case closed because of the increased airflow going from front and exiting at the back of the casing...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

NiksaVel wrote:fyi... in a normal case setup cooling should be better with the case closed because of the increased airflow going from front and exiting at the back of the casing...
In theory yes ... but on the two boxes of mine it just isn't the case. So I really have to keep those two open or else I face the same problems.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

depends on the case design and fans placement of course :)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

NiksaVel wrote:depends on the case design and fans placement of course :)
Absolutely. :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

cool_gamer8119 wrote:windows is working perfectly but every attempt at grub that i make backfires.
OK, can you be more precise on that? What precisely did you try? Also, maybe you should provide us with details about your harddisks and the partitioning scheme you use. Could be that your partitioning scheme and harddisk setup is slightly different and that therefore the instructions you followed so far backfired for some reason ...

Return to “Other topics”