Where did Firefox bookmarks.html go ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Where did Firefox bookmarks.html go ?

Post by Husse »

Took me a while to get it -FF3 uses some other mechanism for bookmarks
Open the Bookmarks menu > Organize bookmarks > Export and import > Import from your html file
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Frankly I haven't got a clue to what Mozilla has done
There is an option to export your bookmarks to html so perhaps we need to do that to back them up
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

The actual file has changed name from bookmarks.html to places.sqlite. So if you want to back it up, just go to your profile folder and it will be there.

More info can be found here.

atlef.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have not bothered to search for the bookmarks storage point - I've got enough to do any way - but there is no places.sqlite in my profile folder :shock:
There are a few other sqlite files so maybe it just has another name in Linux than Windows - the link above is for Windows
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

Strange, my profile folder has this file and I use Ubuntu with FF3. And I see that the link is for windows, but it should not be all that different in Linux.

atlef.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry - I forgot that I have two FF profiles folders - the old one for FF2 which is abandoned in Elyssa but I share home with some other Mint under the same user name (please don't do that - a recipe for disaster but I can handle a disaster :))
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

Husse wrote:Sorry - I forgot that I have two FF profiles folders - the old one for FF2 which is abandoned in Elyssa but I share home with some other Mint under the same user name (please don't do that - a recipe for disaster but I can handle a disaster :))
I thought that you did have more than one profile folder. :lol:

And it may need to be repeated: DO NOT USE THE SAME USERNAME IF YOU SHARE HOME BETWEEN DISTRO'S.

atlef.

Return to “Software & Applications”