Plays in Windows but not Linux

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nasair

Re: Plays in Windows but not Linux

Post by nasair »

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
System: Host: MSI-GE620-FX620DX Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: System: Micro-Star product: GE620/FX620DX
Mobo: Micro-Star model: MS-16G5 Bios: American Megatrends version: E16G5IMS V1.0D date: 04/14/2011
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 15964.6
Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz 5: 800.00 MHz 6: 800.00 MHz 7: 1800.00 MHz 8: 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 540M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 540M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.38 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k bus-ID: 04:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 532.3GB (59.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK5061GS size: 500.1GB
2: USB id: /dev/sdc model: Patriot_Memory size: 32.2GB
Partition: ID: / size: 451G used: 297G (70%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.49GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 0.0:43C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 211 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 1778.5/7892.1MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

Update:

I tried turnning off the hardward acceleration in VLC same issue. I also tried the video on another laptop using the same same setup, including the extras you told me to install, and different hardware for the same problem of only the audio playing.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

seems to be a laptop with dual graphic and 4 cores with threading enabled (8 virtual cores)

VLC linux may have issues identifying the correct card to use for the rendering;
check the image and try different settings for the output.
Still surprised that all other videos play fine, shame you can't share the video with me I really would like to have a look at it.

How is the installation of 2.2 going? I saw a lot of people especially with dual graphics having better results.
Screenshot-Simple Preferences.png
nasair

Post by nasair »

I think you missed it, I installed the update and it was the same problem. I'm on 3.0.0 on my linux laptop.
I ran through every video out option (closing between changing settings and reopening) other than the disabled option, and none would display the video for that file.

Update, also it doesn't make sense to me the output mode would be the reason since in the debug log it states: avcodec warning: cannot decode one frame (7463 bytes)
That, and other videos play fine.
The video stream info is that it is H264 MPEG-4 AVC (Part 10) (avc1)
Resolution 640x480
Frame rate 29.965742

I know for a fact I can play other H264 videos since I usually only encode in that format, but maybe it is a specific way this was being encoded? Either way, it is weird that it plays on Windows and not Linux Mint. It might work in other distros, haven't tried since I don't want to switch distros.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

ok missed the fact that you had a small line indicating you switched version (not easy to catch with all the lines you are sending.) and running heavy diff operations to identify what could be wrong on this system or file.
Anyway I give up as I'm runnig out of ideas and can't find a logical explanation to this problem on one single file.
Best guess is rendering problem on linux (driver, way vlc gets the information from the hw, version of driver and so on.) Way to many things to check without having the video file.
You may try on a VLC forum, someone may have notived such kind of strange behaviour.
Sorry
nasair

Post by nasair »

It is a combination of what you mentioned with how the file is encoded. I have a few others also in the same format that won't play as well. Since there are only 6 of them I think I might try re-encoding them in Windows to see if that helps.
Oh, and thank you for all of the help...go get a cider, cheers.
nasair

Post by nasair »

I think the problem is something to do with files, and specifically how linux's codecs handle them or something because. I can get Handbrake to read them in Windows but Handbrake can't determine the video legnth. I can re-encode them in avidemux but the video legnth is all wrong. If I convert them with VLC it seems to produce something I can both read correctly in Handbrake and play in Linux...strange.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

it doesn't really surprise me, video formats are so different and codecs well you know probably more about them then I do...
Anything is possible.
If you do find a commun factor or if you are able to send me samples I wouldn't mind sharing my experience.
nasair

Post by nasair »

I've been playing with trying to get a re-encoded version of the files to play but having issues. I have had success re-encoding with VLC into an MPEG2 format and a .TS container, but I can't get this file to re-encode into anything else. I've got a list of programs I'm going to still try but I think I might know why the original files might have not been playing in Linux. When I was trying to remux the original files and then the re-encoded .TS files to MKV I first got this error in NKVToolNix when trying to convert the original files:
Warning: 'C:\Users\----\Desktop\test.mp4' track 1: The AVC video track is missing the 'CTTS' atom for frame timecode offsets. However, AVC/h.264 allows frames to have more than the traditional one (for P frames) or two (for B frames) references to other frames. The timecodes for such frames will be out-of-order, and the 'CTTS' atom is needed for getting the timecodes right. As it is missing the timecodes for this track might be wrong. You should watch the resulting file and make sure that it looks like you expected it to.
I've read this might be due to the original files having no b-frames.
And for the .TS file the video doesn't come across as an option.
In HandBrake, the original loads without the program understanding the video length and the .TS that does play in Linux makes HandBrake error and crash after analyzing about 20-30% of the files. I get these same HandBrake issues in Windows as well.

In short I'm still trying to find something that will re-encode the original file or the .TS (from VLC) into something that both plays in Linux but also I can edit further.
I'm going to try AVIDemux again but on the .TS file.
I also will try RipBot264, MeGUI, StaxRip, HDConvertToX, MatroskaSplitter, tsMuxeR, and MediaCoder ... as I have the time.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

well it keeps you busy and you may end with a tuto on how to reencode properly fir win and linux.
Good luck
nasair

Post by nasair »

Thank you, and I also have my Mango Wine and Cider making to help keep me busy :)
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

:lol: keep on going
nasair

Post by nasair »

I can't figure out exactly the problem, but my last ditch solution was to play the file that I transcoded in Windows that now plays in Linux, and do a screencast/recording and then crop and re-encode that...it has been a pain. On the other hand the wine is turning out great, and the cider seem promising. I'll rack the cider next week and do the first taste test.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

lucky you 8)

Return to “Sound”