'Videos' not working in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
turtlebay777

'Videos' not working in LMDE

Post by turtlebay777 »

I had a similar problem with 17 before and it's now just cropped up in LMDE. When I click on a video to watch it it tries to use 'videos' to open the file - I think it refers to totem.

Until yesterday it worked flawlessly but now it won't, the page just jumps and nothing. The videos open normally in vlc. I tried going to file system/ usr/ bin and pointing the 'open with' to totem but it won't work.

Can anyone enlighten me please?
Thanks for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClutchDisc

Re: 'Videos' not working in LMDE

Post by ClutchDisc »

Hi turtlebay777,

I don't know what desktop you are using (Mate?.. Cinnamon?) But I am running Mint 17 Mate. What you should need to do is go to Menu > Control Center > Preferred Applications. Once there you should go to the Multimedia tab and set what you want to be the default for videos. Hopefully that works for you!

P.S. I LOVE your signature turtlebay! Very good choice! :)
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

Thanks Clutch Disc, I have tried that but it seems Totem (aka Videos) isn't working.
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

They play fine with VLC? I would suggest maybe just using that then. It's the only media player I use.
Old.Coot

Post by Old.Coot »

I like your sig as well.

Setting preferred applications to vlc doesn't work for me either. Instead of doing anything supertechnical, I just right click on the video file I want and select play with vlc. Not elegant. Not automatic. But it works.
Old.Coot
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

I got this issue in the past and I'm quite sure that the culprit is DMO libs installed in your system (gstreamer stuffs). debian was using libav while DMO is using ffmpeg. there are some similarities between them but they're not 100% compatible. one of the solution is "purify" your system from DMO stuffs but it's quite difficult to do. using vlc instead of totem seems to be your current best solution.
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

No solution found except by dumping the distro and moving to Mint 13 which works flawlessly.

Return to “LMDE Archive”