ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Which repository is which ? [SOLVED]

Post by ron_h »

LMDE 201403 Cinnamon 64bit

In Wikipedia, under Linux Mint, it says :
Package classification

Linux Mint divides its software repositories into four main channels that reflect differences in their nature and in their origin.

main
Provides only software that is developed by Linux Mint.
upstream
Provides software which is present in Ubuntu but patched or modified by Linux Mint. As a result, the software provided by this channel behaves differently in each distribution. Notable examples are Grub, Plymouth, Ubiquity, Xchat, USB Creator and Yelp (the help system).
import
Provides software that is not available in Ubuntu or for which no recent versions are available in Ubuntu. Notable examples are Opera, Picasa, Skype, Songbird, the 64-bit Adobe Flash plugin and Frostwire.
romeo
Not enabled by default. Provides test packages before they are promoted to other (stable) channels. As such it represents the unstable branch of Linux Mint.
Is this true ? If so, which repository(ies) shown in Synaptic Package Manager corresponds to each of the above ?

If it's not true, where can I find a description of the function and the content of the repositories I see in Synaptic Package Manager ?

If I run inxi -r I see
http://packages.linuxmint.com debian main upstream import

and no mention of 'romeo' which seems to imply the above classifications are no longer relevant.

Ron
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Which repository is which ?

Post by killer de bug »

Romeo is not active by default, that why it's not in the output from the terminal. You can add it if you want to use it. But in LMDE romeo is most of the time empty. It has been used 2 times in the last year for testing purpose. Clem put here a package that he want some users to test, to see if it's bug free before pushing it to the main repo.

Honestly, you don't need to worry about romeo.
http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/05/c ... -in-romeo/
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

OK, romeo can be ignored, so I'll ignore it.

But, about the other three classifications. If main, upstream and import are all included in the same repository, then what's the difference between them for the user ? Does it matter ? Is there any way I can tell what classification applies to any given package ?

Ron
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

ron_h wrote:OK, romeo can be ignored, so I'll ignore it.

But, about the other three classifications. If main, upstream and import are all included in the same repository, then what's the difference between them for the user ? Does it matter ? Is there any way I can tell what classification applies to any given package ?

Ron
in a terminal use

Code: Select all

apt policy
to understand where your package comes from. For example:

Code: Select all

apt policy plymouth
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

OK, did that, and Plymouth is main. Thank you

My conclusion is that the classification is effectively useless and meaningless to the avarage user but if I want to I can determine the classification for any package.

I guess this means the thread is sort of SOLVED

Ron

Return to “LMDE Archive”