mintupdate vs package manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dodgefan

mintupdate vs package manager

Post by dodgefan »

how come mintupdate says my system is up to date, but when i run package manager and hit mark all upgrades, it shows that there are updates for the kernel, firefox, dbus/hal, nvidia, along with a few others? which one should i use? will updating my system with package manager screw mintupdate up?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: mintupdate vs package manager

Post by rivenought »

When you open mintUpdate, you may wish to click the "Refresh" button. That way, you will probably see numerous updates awaiting your attention. It may be safest to only install the level 1, 2, and 3 updates. Using mintUpdate is the preferred method for updating. Have fun!
dodgefan

Post by dodgefan »

im pretty sure i did, but funny thing, when i ran package manager and it showed me the updates, that i didnt install, mintupdate now has the same updates. im sure they are tied together

oh well, problem solved :)

thanks
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

You can have them to be visible in mintUpdate by using preferences and checking the level 4 and 5 visible check box.
These are updates that are not recommended to be installed since they can cause a lot of problems.
dodgefan

Post by dodgefan »

actually after i updated with mintupdate and rebooted i ran package manager again and it had most of the updates i thought i just installed with mintupdate needing to be installed, so i installed them and now everything is kosher

so if mintupdate does not show level 4 and 5 updates by default why does package manager and why would firefox updates be level 4 or 5?

Return to “Software & Applications”