Live CD install does not agree with my hardware video ATI

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smiley_lauf

Live CD install does not agree with my hardware video ATI

Post by smiley_lauf »

Hi Mint Users,
I am newcomer to mint; just downloaded mint 5 Ely and burned iso and checked mdsum--all ok. start the live cd and boot splash loads fine, until it gets to load the desktop=at this point the screen goes blank, intense white flashing, all pixels light up, glows, then blackens; strange thing is the sound loads (bootup sound); I am suspecting that live cd is unable to load x-server appropriately for my ati card (Specs: HP compaq nw8240 notebook, 15.4" WUXGA, ATI firegl, 1920x1200 res).

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 perfectly: no issues with live cd, screen is auto-sensed using bullet-proofX, and correct resolution loaded; ati graphics drivers loaded once successfully into GUI desktop.

What do I do to make live cd boot up, and pick my graphics cards just as in Ubuntu 8.04? Boot parameters i.e. VESA settings, etc.
Thanks
S
-------
Registered Ubuntu user; registered linux user
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Live CD install does not agree with my hardware video ATI

Post by Husse »

Have you tried compatibility mode?
If not you might not have found it
At boot when the time counts down press any key and the rest is self explanatory
smiley_lauf

Post by smiley_lauf »

Husse wrote:Have you tried compatibility mode?
If not you might not have found it
At boot when the time counts down press any key and the rest is self explanatory
I have tried compat mode [pressed F6]; terminal activity came on; till it went to terminal login at prompt "mint@mint $"; I even forced xserver to start, startx, but gave me "fatal error" message. I know about this error, it has happened to me inall RPM based live cd that use Peter Arvin's boot process.
Ubuntu does not use the same boot process.

tx,
S
Husse

Post by Husse »

You came to a terminal - not a busy box?

Return to “Installation & Boot”