duo core or 64 bit

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
goldstar1
Level 2
Level 2

duo core or 64 bit

Post by goldstar1 »

Someone must know this

Is duo core 32 or 64 bit processing?

I had a computer that had 2- 32bit- intel processors. A lot of processor was being used, and it didn't seem any faster.

I have a computer with 1-64 bit processor. Its faster with 64 bit programs and kernel.

I am curious about duo core. If I upgrade my computers motherboard, I want a real hot rod with a lot of processor and memory space left over during the time I'm running a couple of programs.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: duo core or 64 bit

Post by Boo »

it is both.
intel license the AMD 64bit instructions and put them in their CPUs since the Pentium 4.
so you can install a 64bit OS on a core 2 duo.
There is quite a lot of debate about whether 32 or 64 bit apps are faster, it is dependent on where there is a bottle neck.
in general an all 64bit OS and app sys should be faster on the same system.

Remember if you upgrade your system hardware you will get more performance gain from the hardware than going from 32 bit to 64bit.
so on the new system test with 32bit system then 64bit.
also not all apps (and codecs) are 64bit yet.
most programs are not written for smp systems so all these cores and cpus make no difference, but that is another story.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
goldstar1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by goldstar1 »

Thank you for your fast reply. I was also thinking about maybe 10000RPM Hard drive instead of duel duo core motherboard. This stuff is mostly a big hobby of mine. I'm looking right now for smooth and fast program and system start up and nice, smooth (not jumpy) 3d graphics.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

I would like to know whether
Intel Duo -or Centrino Duo is the same as Intel core2 duo - or Centrino core2 duo.
If not what is the difference? What is Intel Pentium D processor?
have Centrino Duo in my laptop & Intel Core 2 Duo in my Desk top.
Thanks
Critom

Post by Critom »

goldstar1 wrote:Thank you for your fast reply. I was also thinking about maybe 10000RPM Hard drive instead of duel duo core motherboard. This stuff is mostly a big hobby of mine. I'm looking right now for smooth and fast program and system start up and nice, smooth (not jumpy) 3d graphics.
You pay a massive premium for those disks which provide you with little or no real life benefit. Extra ram better GFX or better CPU will give you much more bang for your buck than the 10krpm HDDs. It would only effect graphics if they were being loaded as they were needed and I know of no program that still does that. If you already have the best system possible and you still want to spend more cash then by all means get them but along with most of us you are probably looking to get as much computer for as little cash as possible.
Kiwi-Hawk

Post by Kiwi-Hawk »

Hi

As I understand it,.. and relating to my Duel-Core thats running at 2.8gi clock speed your machine will run at the given clock speed but will process faster than a normal machine when you use software that is multi core aware as this load shares,..

I got a quad-core thinking it woild go like a rocket,.. but no it's 2.4gig clock speed and will not run faster less I use Vista or a multi-core aware 64bit OS and as most of the software I use is not Multi-core aware it's is in fact slower than my Duel-core because it's for the most part only using the one 2.4 gig core

Cheers
Kiwi-Hawk

Return to “Hardware Support”