Uprading to Mint 5, when is KDE CE expected?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OdinsSon999

Uprading to Mint 5, when is KDE CE expected?

Post by OdinsSon999 »

Hi there,

I need to reinstall my system and I am going to be installing Mint 5. However I much prefere the KDE CE. I need to install soon, but I don't want to install the gnome version and then find out that KDE CD Mint 5 came out and if I had just waited a week I could have installed the KDE version. So, Boo could you please give me a rough estimate of when you will be releasing the Linux Mint 5 KDE CE? If it is coming up quite soon, Ill wait for your version.

P.S.

Any rough ideas of when you will make the switch to KDE 4?

Thanks
Christof
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Uprading to Mint 5, when is KDE CE expected?

Post by Husse »

Well I can speak for Boo I think
It's being tested and there are a few issues to fix, but it won't be long
However to give an exact date is hard - you have to realize that the team has got other jobs to support us and that makes it even more difficult to guess
KDE 4 won't be used for a long time, it's still way too buggy
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

If the next Kubuntu is out October then at the very earliest KDE4 Mint will be November. But that is assuming KDE4 is good enough to switch to at that point.

As for this release, there will be a beta or two before the final release anyways. So even if a beta was announced tomorrow it would be a couple of weeks before a finished version was out.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

belovedmonster wrote:As for this release, there will be a beta or two before the final release anyways. So even if a beta was announced tomorrow it would be a couple of weeks before a finished version was out.
True. However, Mint betas are noted for being of the highest quality, very close to the final ones
brando569

Post by brando569 »

i was wondering this, would it be possible to install elyssa final then install the kubuntu-desktop package if you really wanted to run elyssa and kde?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

in short no.
but it would be from the same repos.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
OndinsSon999

Post by OndinsSon999 »

brando569 wrote:i was wondering this, would it be possible to install elyssa final then install the kubuntu-desktop package if you really wanted to run elyssa and kde?
Boo said no, but Im not sure why he said no.

For the last year I have used the Gnome edition of mint and then just installed kde-base and ran exclusively KDE off the main edition install
Husse

Post by Husse »

It is quite possible to install KDE desktop
When Boo - and I - say no, we say - no, that will never give you the Mint KDE edition
OnlyMe

Post by OnlyMe »

Husse wrote:It is quite possible to install KDE desktop
When Boo - and I - say no, we say - no, that will never give you the Mint KDE edition
That is what I thought and that is why I am more than willing to wait. In the meantime, I am enjoying Elyssa. I do miss KDE though as that is what I am used to. However, Elyssa is meeting my everyday computing needs so I am under no hardship waiting.
brando569

Post by brando569 »

Husse wrote:It is quite possible to install KDE desktop
i realized it wouldnt give me the mint version of kde, this would just be something to hold me over until mint 5 kde is released.

Return to “Software & Applications”