Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [10-11-14]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wayne128

Re: Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [16-07-14]

Post by wayne128 »

Chris M wrote:
GeneC wrote:
grizzler wrote:If I understand this correctly, this is fixed in version 1.2.0-5 of xfce4-power-manager, which should migrate to testing in a couple of days.
Upgrade to xfce4-power-manager 1.2.0-5 from SID breaks the desktop.
Appears other packages are needed for a proper fix. Best to wait..
Gene, xfce4-power-manager 1.2.0-5 is coming in today. Has this been fixed in SID?

Yes, sid has resolved suspense/hibernate a few days ago
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p893730

Code: Select all

xfce can suspense and hibernate after d-u

Postby wayne128 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:56 pm
fully d-u

suspense and hibernate button returned :mrgreen: :)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I don't remember whether it has been mentioned here or not, but with GTK+ 3.12 the resizing of sub-windows using the left mouse button (holding it and moving the mouse) is broken.
For example, see Synaptic's package properties window, or Network Manager's connections editor (nm-connection-editor).
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

I got the update for xfce4-power-manager 1.2.0-5 today. Still no Suspend and Hibernate buttons, even after a reboot. Here is the output from "xfce4-power-manager --dump":

Xfce power manager version 1.2.0
With policykit support
With network manager support
With DPMS support
---------------------------------------------------
Can suspend: True
Can hibernate: True
Can spin down hard disks: True
Authorized to suspend: True
Authorized to hibernate: True
Authorized to shutdown: True
Authorized to spin down hard disks: True
Has battery: False
Has brightness panel: False
Has power button: True
Has hibernate button: True
Has sleep button: True
Has LID: False
This a a desktop PC so I'm not really worried about though. I put it down to Gremlins. :shock:
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

GeneB, I'm getting the same result.

Edit: Actually, I did not have it installed. And I don't think DU removed it, I just didn't have it installed.

I've been having to authenticate to shut down, and your xfce4-power-manager --dump command has unearthed my problem:

root@asus:/home/chris# xfce4-power-manager --dump

(xfce4-power-manager:982): GLib-WARNING **: (/tmp/buildd/glib2.0-2.40.0/./glib/gerror.c:381):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)

(xfce4-power-manager:982): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: Unable to connect to session managet : Failed to connect to the session manager: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

(xfce4-power-manager:982): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: Unable to create proxy for 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit'

(xfce4-power-manager:982): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: could not map keysym 1008ffa8 to keycode

(xfce4-power-manager:982): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: 'CheckAuthorization' failed with Action org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-set-spindown is not registered
With policykit support
With DPMS support
Authorized to shutdown: False
Authorized to spin down hard disks: False
Has brightness panel: True
I'll research it later tonight.

Edit 2: Lots on the net about this. I stopped here. I installed consolekit:

Install: consolekit:amd64 (0.4.6-4), libpam-ck-connector:amd64 (0.4.6-4, automatic), libck-connector0:amd64 (0.4.6-4, automatic)
End-Date: 2014-07-23  21:11:27
.., and that took care of my Authorized to shutdown: False problem, at least.

root@asus:/home/chris#  xfce4-power-manager --dump

(xfce4-power-manager:1073): GLib-WARNING **: (/tmp/buildd/glib2.0-2.40.0/./glib/gerror.c:381):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)

(xfce4-power-manager:1073): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: Unable to connect to session managet : Failed to connect to the session manager: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

(xfce4-power-manager:1073): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: could not map keysym 1008ffa8 to keycode

(xfce4-power-manager:1073): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: 'CheckAuthorization' failed with Action org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-set-spindown is not registered
With policykit support
With DPMS support
Authorized to shutdown: True
Authorized to spin down hard disks: False
Has brightness panel: True
I can restart and shutdown without Authenticating. Gonna ignore the error messages for the moment.
Last edited by Chris M on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

the patch in xfce4-power-manager was for activating suspend and hibernate via xfce's power manager. right click on the power manager's battery icon and you'll see the suspend and hibernate button. if you use the normal way, i.e : click whisker menu then click log out, then you won't see suspend and hibernate option. you'll get these option later when you got new xfce4-session.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

kurotsugi wrote:the patch in xfce4-power-manager was for activating suspend and hibernate via xfce's power manager. right click on the power manager's battery icon and you'll see the suspend and hibernate button. if you use the normal way, i.e : click whisker menu then click log out, then you won't see suspend and hibernate option. you'll get these option later when you got new xfce4-session.
Thanks for the explanation kurotsugi.

Speaking of Gremlins, I seem to be affected by this one. The Gremlin strikes about 50% of the time. :(
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

AFAIK the frequency of the bug occured is getting higher on 208. it might not a best solution but you could try using 204 on LMDE's snapshot. you need to keep watch on the dependency stuffs and the "u" stuffs which is now deeply integrated into systemd (upower, udisk2, udev). else, you can try to debug your system and find the culprit. the general thing I figured from the reports is that systemd failed to kill certain services. theorically you can avoid this issue by locating the problematic services and disable it or kill it manually before shutting down your system (you can also force it by using the magic combo [press and hold alt+prt sc followed by R-E-I]).
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi kurotsugi ,

Downgrading seems like a drastic step. I think I'll just use this as an opportunity to learn more about systemd and especially journalctl and it's numerous commands. :D
dumas777

Post by dumas777 »

GeneBenson wrote:Hi kurotsugi ,

Downgrading seems like a drastic step. I think I'll just use this as an opportunity to learn more about systemd and especially journalctl and it's numerous commands. :D
No worries on learning really the freedesktop.borg (systemd, etc) will assimilate you and teach you The One Way whether you want it or not eventually unless you take the drastic step of jumping to *BSD.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Well, it's been both interesting and scary. Here's the interesting part.
Normal Shutdown

Jul 24 10:10:34 gb systemd[1]: Stopping Session 1 of user gene.
Jul 24 10:10:39 gb systemd-journal[234]: Journal stopped
Not Normal Shutdown

Jul 25 01:13:12 gb systemd[1]: Stopping Session 1 of user gene.
Jul 25 01:14:42 gb systemd[1]: user@65534.service stopping timed out. Killing.
Jul 25 01:14:42 gb systemd[1]: Stopped User Manager for 65534.
Jul 25 01:14:42 gb systemd[1]: Unit user@65534.service entered failed state.
Jul 25 01:14:42 gb systemd[1]: Stopping user-65534.slice.
Jul 25 01:14:42 gb systemd[1]: Removed slice user-65534.slice.
It's the 90 second delay bug I mentioned earlier.

The scary part is I'm not alone. There are a number of bug reports mentioning this and they all report it on systemd 208-x. The only solution I found came from an upgrade to systemd. Guess I'll just have to wait.
Even scarier is that I seem to be they only one on this forum that has this problem. Damn Gremlins!! :?

dumas777 wrote:
No worries on learning really the freedesktop.borg (systemd, etc) will assimilate you and teach you The One Way whether you want it or not eventually unless you take the drastic step of jumping to *BSD.
I guess "Resistance is futile". :wink:
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

you can check who is user 65534 by

cat /etc/passwd |grep 65534

after that you can try what is the problem of that user. in my system 65534 is X so that there might be some problem with X or the drivers.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi kurotsugi ,

Here's the output from cat /etc/passwd |grep 65534

sync:x:4:65534:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
nobody:x:65534:65534:nobody:/nonexistent:/bin/sh
dnsmasq:x:107:65534:dnsmasq,,,:/var/lib/misc:/bin/false
I will look at those more closely. Thank you very much for your help with this.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

nobody:x:65534:65534:nobody:/nonexistent:/bin/sh
something is fishy here. I never knew that this "nobody" could have a service. AFAIK it shouldn't

systemd-analyze blame |grep user
           378ms systemd-user-sessions.service
           176ms user@105.service
           165ms user@1000.service
             2ms run-user.mount
abickerton

Post by abickerton »

As i've been seeing a certain amount of pain going from stock LMDE (MATE-iso 04.14) to Testing.
I followed the instruction detailed /viewtopic.php?f=201&t=123323 and would like to document what breaks as of 26th July...

$sudo apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
Fails to complete due to caja-extension1

This could be solved by removing the following packages.

apt-get remove caja caja-gksu caja-open-terminal caja-share engrampa libatril mate-system-tools mate-user-share libcaja-extension atril libatril mate-session-manager mint-meta-debian-mate mate-screensaver
Followed by

$sudo apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
If all goes well, the dist-upgrade will now complete without any serious errors (ignore the gdk-pixbuf warning). DO NOT REBOOT!

In order to have a working desktop on reboot, the files in will now need the re-install the mate packages that were just removed. mint-meta-debian-mate does not appear to be needed.

$apt-get install atril caja caja-gksu caja-open-terminal caja-share engrampa mate-screensaver mate-session-manager mate-user-share mozo

$reboot
Desktop started , some minor cosmetic changes were needed. :| (edited for accuracy)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

It's probably the same old result of not removing /etc/apt/preferences before jumping to Testing...
abickerton

Post by abickerton »

Sadly not, that file was not present after installing stock version. Only preferences.d is there and I made sure it was empty before starting.
steveo314
Level 2
Level 2

Post by steveo314 »

Did anyone else have the issue with gdebi dependency of python? I can't upgrade because of it.
debian or bust
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi steveo314,

Doesn't ring any bells. I'm currently running gdebi 0.9.5.4 which is the current version in testing. Have you removed the preferences file in: /etc/apt/preferences.d? It's recommended when tracking testing.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

abickerton wrote:Sadly not, that file was not present after installing stock version.
But it should be there in the fresh LMDE 201403 installation. Or did you mean anything else by "stock version"?

Return to “LMDE Archive”