Firefox 3 on Celena (Mint 3.1)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sayshh

Firefox 3 on Celena (Mint 3.1)

Post by sayshh »

Hello,

I'm trying to find out if Firefox 3 can be installed on Mint 3.1. Here is what I tried:

I tried downloading and installing it using Mintinstall (download for Elyssa). The installation seemed to go absolutely fine. However, when I launch Firefox, it brings up FF 2.0.0.6 instead of FF 3.

When I try to search for files modified today, I do find a folder called firefox in /usr/lib, but opening the firefox link through that also brings up the older version. I would really like to have FF 3, and that is the reason I didn't upgrade FF from FF 2.0.0.6 to 2.0.0.13.

Another thing I noticed is that the font rendering has changed in the older version of FF after the installation of FF3. :( I really used to like the fonts earlier, as they were better than any other Linux distro. Anyway, I can restore the fonts the way there were before? I'm even prepared to uninstall FF3 if it will help.

Can anybody give more information on this?

Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sayshh

Re: Firefox 3 on Celena (Mint 3.1)

Post by sayshh »

Looks like more problems. I'm not able to use Nautilus. The window randomly closes when I double-click on folders, and then reopens with my Home folder.

Please help.
sayshh

Post by sayshh »

I think its all sorted now...

Thanks!
ric.dintino
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ric.dintino »

I have the same problem with Nautilus. How did you fix it?
sayshh

Post by sayshh »

Hi Ric,

I don't remember the exact sequence, but I remember trying to uninstall and install Nautilus, which caused a lot of other components to be uninstalled (gnome-session and others)... :(

Then I had to install gnome-session, again.. it was a lot of trial and error, so I don't remember exactly what I did. It was a frantic effort to save my installation.. hope you can understand. Since it was taking time to fix, now I've installed Wolvix just to keep using my computer in the meantime. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”