Disappearing Text in Firefox

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SKS

Disappearing Text in Firefox

Post by SKS »

Mint 17 Cinni

When typing in a response or starting a thread in any given forum. All of a sudden several lines above previous lines I am typing, disappear.
But, if you highlight all the posts text, everything comes back as it was originally.

Any one experience this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: Disappearing Text in Firefox

Post by PatH57 »

could you try chromium and check if you have the same problems?
it will help troubleshooting your problem (cinnamon tweaking or firefox tweaking)
SKS

Post by SKS »

Doesn't happen in Chromium. Just Firefox.
Did some googling and found that others have had the same problem in the past, Firefox bug.
Haven't spotted a real cure.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

it's probably one of the settings in firefox.
Try help, restart with add ons disabled, if it works it's one of the add ons.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, SKS.

I can confirm that I experience the same problem on Linux Mint 17, 32-bit, Nvidia graphics card using the nouveau driver, Cinnamon 2.2.13, Firefox 31.0 with Classic Theme Restorer 1.2.2 and Redcats on Green 5.7.0, as well.
It has not started with Firefox 31.0, the problem occurred on the previous Firefox version as well.

Note:
I am writing this on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit, Intel graphics card, Unity desktop, Firefox 31.0 with Classic Theme Restorer 1.2.2 and Redcats on Green 5.7.0. And I have not experienced the problem in this envrionment so far.
I do not experience the problem when using Linux Mint 13, 32-bit, Nvidia graphics card using the Nvidia driver, xfce 4.10.2, Firefox 31.0 with Classic Theme Restorer 1.2.2 and Redcats on Green 5.7.0.
I do not experience the problem when using Linux Mint 16, 32-bit, Nvidia graphics card using the Nvidia driver, Cinnamon 2.0.14, Firefox 31.0 with Classic Theme Restorer 1.2.2 and Redcats on Green 5.7.0.

OK, to cut it short. So far I only experience the problem on Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon and Firefox 31.0. Hm .... I could also state that the only system where I see the problem is the only system which uses the nouveau driver.

Cheers,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed some useless expressions from 2 sentences.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
SKS

Post by SKS »

I am running a Nvidia graphics card.

So should I switch drivers?
driver pix.png
expat_tony

Post by expat_tony »

Bump.
I have a similar issue so I'd appreciate it if someone could answer SKS' question immediately above.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

same here with Mint 17 Mate 64 and radeon graphic card (so I don't believe it's driver related)
Running firefox without hardware acceleration is better but other things won't work :(
LesStrater

Post by LesStrater »

This is the first time I've been able to post here using Firefox in LM Cinnamon 64. Until now the "Quote" and "Post Reply" text links never showed up. (They displayed and worked fine in Firefox/Win7.) The problem was not video driver related, it was due to me not leaving well enough alone.
A few days ago, I installed a live version of LMCE on a USB flash drive and right away started to customize it. I installed quite a few themes into Firefox, including a theme manager addon. This somehow created the disappearing text problem. I tried everything to fix it, including removing and reinstalling Firefox. (That didn't work, because while it may remove the program, it leaves the support files and profile. So when I reinstalled it, it came up like nothing changed. Even my open tab pages were still there)
OK, so I finally got frustrated and wiped the flash drive last night, then did a complete new LMCE install. Problem solved...and this time I'm limiting the Firefox addons to the very basics and hoping for better luck.

Return to “Cinnamon”