Linux Mint Based distro

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
duubuntu

Re: Linux Mint Based distro

Post by duubuntu »

dreamwareos wrote:Hi. My name is taylor. I am 13 and I am making a distribution based off of Linux Mint. If any of you have seen my post at Ubuntu Forums here. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=805212 I was going to go with Ubuntu, but when I used Linux Mint I was blown away. This is perfect for my reason of making this distro, (pretty much same reason as you guys. some different some same.) I am curious to see if anyone here is willing to help. Since I have to start all over ( Linux Mint is so good I will) I am asking for help and answers to some questions. Any help you give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

.:t@y!0r:.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: LiFe Is ToO gOoD :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Are you trying to say hi or just say that you are making the distro? I don't mean to be rude but I am curious.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Welcome to the forum, dreamwareos!

First off, you will certainly wish to discuss your project with the current developers of Linux Mint. It is a very good idea to cover all of the basics with them, thereby giving you a solid foundation for your distro. That way, there should hopefully be no unforeseen snags in your development cycle.

For your general questions, you will find plenty of support and suggestions available here. Besides all of the posts and threads available for searching, all you have to do is ask for other links to information. Have fun, good luck, and please keep us updated on your progress.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Welcome to Linux Mint :) I was curious about what country you live in? Reason being is I noticed you want to make this a multimedia edition and if your in the USA you need to be careful with codecs. Also if your interested in networking with others your age message me here or on these forums http://wootlinux.co.nr/forums
We only have a 12 year old, a 15 year old, a couple 16 year olds and one 18 (me). But honestly for questions this is the best place to ask, linux mint's community is amazing.
Good luck with your Distro!!
Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thomas »

Welcome and Hello!
Yes, Me nomad(see above) and others are also avidly working on are on distro.
If you need any pointers, send them my way!
P.S. I'm the Youngest in the distro, and the leader :D
Good luck with your distro!
If you need hosting, I recommend zymic(http://www.zymic.com).
Also, be sure to remember legal issues if your in the US!(codecs, flash, etc.)

-Thomas, Woot Linux Project Lead.

EDIT: Also, we may be able to work out some form hosting(via a sub forum on our forums, see nomads link).
Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thomas »

dreamwareos wrote:Wow... already the support is amazing... Another good thing about this community. The legal issues can anyone describe them and how to get past them? That would be really, REALLY helpful. Another thing I guess I am going to conduct a poll here. How many of you like GNOME, KDE, and LXDE? Those would be the 3 main DE's.
I am thinking about switching LXDE to XPDE because it pretty much mimics the Windows XP display. That would be very helpful to the first linux users switching from Windows or at least I think so. Also any programs that you find useful in multimedia tell me. Thanks

Oh.. I live in America. :mrgreen:
I would stick with one, Gnome is nice, but releases are coming quite slow. KDE could be easy for new users as well, with a few mods:p
Fir the legal stuff, the Us is the only country that recognizes patents, and those codecs, flash, etc. are patented.
Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thomas »

dreamwareos wrote:**BuMp** Hey peoples I need multimedia programs that u like.
Banshee, AmaroK, Mplayer, VLC for Audio/Video.
GIMP for image editing.
Audacity for audio editing.
Just off the top of my head.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Sound Juicer is the best for CD ripping, IMHO.
I always used Exaile for my music collection, but recently I came across some bugs/rough edges and I'm thinking about switching, maybe to Amarok.
Guestman

Post by Guestman »

Thomas wrote:Banshee, AmaroK, Mplayer, VLC for Audio/Video.
Banshee? No no no please! No mono apps "par pitié" :evil:

Amarok? Maybe yes in KDE but no in another desktop.
Personnaly I don't want Amarok, I never use this kind of (useless and bloated) apps... :roll:

Oh and XPde = one of the worst things that can happen to Linux! :evil:
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Thomas remember VLC can't be included with a USA based distro, nor can you include banshee 1.0, they both include patented software. Since your just starting out I actually suggest KDE 4.1, its much more stable then 4.0, still some bugs but really stable considering its beta. And Thomas is right, if you need a site my servers will be glad to help out. I can host iso's until your distro becomes popular. Then we will need to find something else. Only requirement is that your distro is 100% legal in the usa. PM me on the Woot Linux forums if your interested. We can also help out with scripts to make getting those codecs and patented items easy. (With a disclaimer of course <_<).

One other thing, what is your primary focus group? Teens? Adults? Everybody in general?

Nomad
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Realplayer can be redistributed freely. That is how Mepis gets around some of the patent nooses.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thomas »

dreamwareos wrote:That would be SO helpful right now Nomad. Yeah i can help on the forums and stuff. My primary focus group is everyone. Adults, Teens, Kids. I think that I will take that advice. I really like Exaile so that might be the main audio player in GNOME edition. thanks peoples I think that is alot of info I will post back with more questions about programs and DE's. Thanks

.:t@y!0r;.
I'd just like you to know one thing:
Managing a distro by itself is a major undertaking in itself.
Managing one with multiple DEs? Well, thats a whole new ballgame, best to choose one and stick to it.
Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thomas »

dreamwareos wrote:I know I will just go with one at the moment. It really is hard... and this is just the first release. IDK. I will maybe try KDE 4.1 later. :cry:

Oh well..JK :lol:
Have you considered possibly a Linux Mint CE?
Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thomas »

dreamwareos wrote:
Have you considered possibly a Linux Mint CE?
Well that kinda has me confused. So you mean that the Linux Mint Community would take care of Dreamware KDE? :?:
No, I meant your distro could be like " Linux Mint Multimedia Edition " Which would pwn :D
It'd be a lot easier to maintain, and judging by your website, it might save you some $ :D
dreamware

Post by dreamware »

Yes I have thought of that. IDK why I don't I like maintaining things on my own and making something like this, well...i dont know. I would have to think about it :?:

Return to “Chat about Linux”