GUI editing of Grub menu and display time (Solved kinda)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OnlyMe

GUI editing of Grub menu and display time (Solved kinda)

Post by OnlyMe »

In the distro I came from, I was able to go into the control center and edit the Grub menu, renaming things. I was also able to change the amount of time the menu displays and which OS was the default OS. All graphically. I have been poking around trying to find similar ability in Mint 5. Is there? Where can it be found?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: GUI editing of Grub menu and display time

Post by Fred »

OnlyMe,

If you can type the answers into a GUI you can type them directly into the config file. You don't need a GUI to do that for you.

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Viola... there it is, just change the line entries you wish to modify, save and close.

That's all there is to it. :-)

Fred
OnlyMe

Post by OnlyMe »

Thank you, Fred. I was able to make the simple tweak I wanted to make using the CLI.
While I may not have the same enthusiasm for CLI as you do, I really appreciate your help.
paul_sc1

Post by paul_sc1 »

You may want to take a look at this thread for the benefits of using a gui grub editor and a solution.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=818177

I have not used it, but I do see that startupmanager is in synaptic if you do a search.

*edit
well curiosity got to me. I did install startupmanager. There is an entry in the applications menu, however, that did not work for me. The entry in the control panel worked fine after entering the prompt password..

Hope it helps.

Return to “Installation & Boot”