Wine question [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Wine question [SOLVED]

Post by red-e-made »

OK, I recently successfully installed a game in wine, but when I open it using a command prompt, I get the following error message in terminal:

Code: Select all

preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
Any ideas what this means?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Xgamer
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine question

Post by Xgamer »

What game you installed?
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Xgamer wrote:What game you installed?
Touhou Scarlet Weather Rhapsody V1.01
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

CavalierBob wrote:See this bug at the Wine Bugzilla
I thank you for that, Bob. I gave Yahoo Messenger a test-run in Wine after this, and it worked. The Touhou games are another story. The one I'm trying to install is the latest one and no doubt needs patches. So I'm going for the next to latest one instead, which only requires downloading an easy-to-find .dll file in order to get it running.

My next mission is this: Could it be possible to install Wine in an external drive? I ask because the default it installs to, my root and boot partitions, are 5GBs each, while my external hard drive is 140 GB. These games are over 1GB a piece.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Deirdre wrote:
red-e-made wrote:
CavalierBob wrote:See this bug at the Wine Bugzilla
I thank you for that, Bob. I gave Yahoo Messenger a test-run in Wine after this, and it worked. The Touhou games are another story. The one I'm trying to install is the latest one and no doubt needs patches. So I'm going for the next to latest one instead, which only requires downloading an easy-to-find .dll file in order to get it running.

My next mission is this: Could it be possible to install Wine in an external drive? I ask because the default it installs to, my root and boot partitions, are 5GBs each, while my external hard drive is 140 GB. These games are over 1GB a piece.
No need to instal wine on the external drive, just change the wine configuration so the wine "c-drice" doent point to ~/.wine/c_drive but to a folder on the external drive
Thank you, Deirdre. I'll give this a shot and report back.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Well, Deirdre this is me reporting back.

Turns out it's even simpler than I thought. I downloaded Mountain of Faith to my external drive, right-clicked, and went to Choose Application, selecting Wine Windows Emulator. Bam.

Now onto downloading the rest of the games!

Thanks everyone

Return to “Software & Applications”