windows home network

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

windows home network

Post by ti479 »

hi,

can anyone tell me the default password that mint is asking me for when i try to connect to my windows network? when i setup the windows home network i didnt install a password so i am not sure what mint is asking for. i can see my network in mint but i cannot connect to it, is there something else i need to do? can i add a new network or set up a new one in mint (samaba)?

any help is appreciated

scott
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: windows home network

Post by miket »

Hi !
ti479 wrote:hi,
can anyone tell me the default password that mint is asking me for when i try to connect to my windows network? when i setup the windows home network i didnt install a password so i am not sure what mint is asking for. i can see my network in mint but i cannot connect to it, is there something else i need to do? can i add a new network or set up a new one in mint (samaba)?

any help is appreciated
scott
A little search of the Mint forum would reveal this post all about using Samba under Mint :)

MIke.
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ti479 »

ok so let me get this straight, i need to install samba and access my files on my windows machine with it, vs trying to connect using the Network GUI already installed into mint? is this correct?
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !
ti479 wrote:ok so let me get this straight, i need to install samba and access my files on my windows machine with it, vs trying to connect using the Network GUI already installed into mint? is this correct?
No not correct .... To connect to your windows shares the best thing to do is install smb4k on your Linux machine, open a terminal and enter the following command :

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install smb4k
This is probably the best tool for connecting to windows networks from a Linux desktop.

The other way is to make the windows machines come to your Linux machine by installing and configuring Samba so that your windows
machines just see your Linux machine as if it were just another windows machine on the network.
To do this see this post here.

Hope this helps.

Mike.
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ti479 »

still asking for non-existent password when i try to access C:\ drive or D:\ drive .
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

AvanceIT wrote:To connect to your windows shares the best thing to do is install smb4k on your Linux machine, open a terminal and enter the following command :

This is probably the best tool for connecting to windows networks from a Linux desktop.
does it matter since Mint 5 doesn't use KDE?
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ti479 »

i found something of a simple solution for this problem. since mint will see the windows network and will let me access the shared documents folder with no problems, i simply copied all the files that i might want to access to the folder and had no problems reading or writing to them.

thanks

scott
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

Linux n00b wrote:
AvanceIT wrote:To connect to your windows shares the best thing to do is install smb4k on your Linux machine, open a terminal and enter the following command :

does it matter since Mint 5 doesn't use KDE?
I was wondering that myself.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I am not sure about this specific package, but usually it doesn't matter, you just have to install some KDE libraries. But if it uses konqueror you might as well just install KDE..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
miket

Post by miket »

Linux n00b wrote: does it matter since Mint 5 doesn't use KDE?
No not at all ... it will work just fine !
All the necessary dependencies will be downloaded and installed automagically ;)

Mike.
Last edited by miket on Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !
ti479 wrote:still asking for non-existent password when i try to access C:\ drive or D:\ drive .
This is with smb4k ?
If so ... I guess you must have a password set somewhere ?

Mike.
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

Thank you, Mike! I now have access to our home LAN and am sleeping on the couch tonight! :mrgreen:
ti479
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ti479 »

no no password set anywhere that i know of.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !
Katzedecimal wrote:Thank you, Mike! I now have access to our home LAN and am sleeping on the couch tonight! :mrgreen:
You're welcome ... I hope the couch is a comfy one :)

Mike.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !
ti479 wrote:no no password set anywhere that i know of.
I suggest you set a password for the two drives and then try logging in again ...
It is strange that it won't allow you to mount the drives without a password and yet you know not of any password for the shared drives ???

If you can mount the drives with a password then at least you will know all is working as it should be ;)

Mike.

Return to “Beginner Questions”