[RESOLVED] -how long should a NTFS slice take to format??

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
eanfrid

Re: Urgent-how long should a NTFS slice take to format??

Post by eanfrid »

A Linux-based OS will not work with any file system that cannot understand/handle Unix permissions (for example, FAT, exFAT, NTFS...) for system mount points. Also NTFS is a proprietary Windows format... using it for Linux is a non-sense :)

Regarding file exchange with a Windows VM, you can usually think of using different methods:
- Creating an external volume (i.e. a dedicated partition on the host) that will be shared between the host and any VM to which you will add it as a "raw volume". In this case, a dedicated NTFS partition is a good choice. Probably the best option for performance and large volumes of data.
- Sharing a pseudo-network folder on the host that will be made visible and available under the guest OS (best if used read-only). In this case, you do not need to create any additional volume.
Last edited by eanfrid on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

titianmom wrote:What I want to do is set up Windows 7 as a VM with Virtual Box.
In this case, the easiest way is to use VirtualBox's shared folders. They're very easy to set up. There's the official document about that.
titianmom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by titianmom »

Shared folders looks good; thanks! I'm not real familiar with sharing stuff but looks pretty straight forward (I was a bad kid, refused to share...)

Now for the simplest question of all. I'm in the software manager: which virtual box do I install? virtualbox-nonfree? I've read in the past it was better to go to http://www.virtualbox.org and download /install from there. But then I read the stuff provided in the SM is fine.

Let me know. Kim

PS: Might close this one out and move this to applications.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [RESOLVED] -how long should a NTFS slice take to format

Post by Flemur »

You're saying I'd be better off to not allocate the rest of the disk to /home (ext4), but to leave some space unallocated, then after installation, create a[n] ntfs slice where I can dump files that both Linux and the Windows VM can access/manipulate.

Yes.

/home is more like part of the OS than it is like "data"; it's kinda dumb to put non-OS data, like movies, pics, etc, in /home anyway (tho that's the default setup).

And by "slice" do you mean "partition"?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
titianmom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by titianmom »

Flemur wrote:And by "slice" do you mean "partition"?
Yes. A slice of pie, or a slice of disk. Or....a partition of pie or partition of disk. I guess if you partitioned the pie, the slices would have to stay in the pie pan to be more correct...

Kim
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

titianmom wrote:Now for the simplest question of all. I'm in the software manager: which virtual box do I install? virtualbox-nonfree? I've read in the past it was better to go to http://www.virtualbox.org and download /install from there. But then I read the stuff provided in the SM is fine.
Unfortunately, LMDE's virtualbox-nonfree package is outdated, broken and non-installable. Either get VirtualBox from the official website (they even provide their own repos for Debian and Ubuntu) or install it from LMDE repos. I use the latter. It's a bit outdated (4.2.x series), but works fine for me.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Yes. A slice of pie, or a slice of disk.

It's a good intuitive name, but there is also a "slice" which has something to do with optimizing partitions for database work.

Slice is a partition: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19455-01/805 ... index.html (never heard it before!)
Slice is something else: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174764.aspx
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

"slices" are also traditional partition subdivisions in *BSDs ;)
titianmom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by titianmom »

In my simplistic world of old SunOS (before the days of administration GUIs, a world where you "vi'ed" and ran your homemade scripts to fix everything...), we said slice or partition interchangeably. We did have a few BSD PCs in there, too, but mostly SunOS workstations and servers.
titianmom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by titianmom »

Monsta wrote:
titianmom wrote:Now for the simplest question of all. I'm in the software manager: which virtual box do I install? virtualbox-nonfree? I've read in the past it was better to go to http://www.virtualbox.org and download /install from there. But then I read the stuff provided in the SM is fine.
Unfortunately, LMDE's virtualbox-nonfree package is outdated, broken and non-installable. Either get VirtualBox from the official website (they even provide their own repos for Debian and Ubuntu) or install it from LMDE repos. I use the latter. It's a bit outdated (4.2.x series), but works fine for me.
Thanks so much for the straight scoobies. I wish they'd take old, not-so-good versions out of the repos; can't see why they leave 'em in there unless someone has a really old load? Or at least make a note explaining which installs ea version works with for us simple-minded folk. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”