Solved Installing from live CD to Virtualbox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Solved Installing from live CD to Virtualbox

Post by idiotkiwi »

I have recently installed Virtualbox with XP as a guest (needed for one program).

I am now very happy with my Elyssa setup. I do not want to risk it by doing unnecessary installs of other distros, but I would like to have a look at some of the other other Linux offerings by installing in Virtualbox rather than in a multiple boot scenario. However, I cannot seem to work out how to get a live CD installed into VB. I create the Guest and can find the ISo in my CD player but then cannot get any further.

Any suggestions ???

Regards

Euan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: Installing from live CD to Virtualbox

Post by miket »

Hi !
idiotkiwi wrote:I have recently installed Virtualbox with XP as a guest (needed for one program).
I am now very happy with my Elyssa setup. I do not want to risk it by doing unnecessary installs of other distros, but I would like to have a look at some of the other other Linux offerings by installing in Virtualbox rather than in a multiple boot scenario. However, I cannot seem to work out how to get a live CD installed into VB. I create the Guest and can find the ISo in my CD player but then cannot get any further.
Any suggestions ???

Regards

Euan
You need to set the VM to boot from ISO rather than CDROM drive ... to do this select ISO Image File in the CDROM/DVD setup in the VirtualBox
configuration page. Once you've done this the VM should boot from the ISO.

However if you actually have the live CD in the CDROM drive then just set the VM to boot from the CDROM drive and it will actually boot the liveCD itself.

Mike.
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Solved Installing from live CD to Virtualbox

Post by idiotkiwi »

Mike,
Thanks for the response. I found I had somehow lost my listing in the vboxuser group.
After correcting that I could access the iso and now all seems OK.
Regards

Euan

Return to “Software & Applications”