No wallpaper, no icons on desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spacegypsy

No wallpaper, no icons on desktop

Post by spacegypsy »

Hi;

Another buggy thing I found on Elyssa, is when starting or rebooting the pc, randomly (sometimes after 5 times, sometimes after 20 times) the desktop icons and the wallpaper won't appear. Also the righter mouse button won't give any menu, I just get a black screen.

The taskbar does appear.

Anything else works fine.

thx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: No wallpaper, no icons on desktop

Post by 67GTA »

I've seen this happen several times. It is usually nautilus hanging at boot. I have no idea what causes it. Usually a reboot will fix it. What are your system specs? Post the output of

Code: Select all

lspci
from a terminal. Are you running Compiz?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
spacegypsy

Post by spacegypsy »

output of lspci:

Code: Select all

guy@guy-desktop ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro] (Secondary)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation ISL3890 [Prism GT/Prism Duette]/ISL3886 [Prism Javelin/Prism Xbow] (rev 01)
02:02.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7134/SAA7135HL Video Broadcast Decoder (rev 01)
02:04.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 536EP Data Fax Modem
02:09.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6105 [Rhine-III] (rev 8b)
02:0a.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 46)
guy@guy-desktop ~ $ 
Compiz fusion is not running, all special effects are off in the appearance menu.

The machine is a Medion Titanium MD 8080 XL, Pentim 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 XL 128MB.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Seems pretty standard. I had this bug when I started testing Hardy, but haven't seen it since I installed Elyssa.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
spacegypsy

Post by spacegypsy »

It is an output of it when the problem did not appear.

Maybe I'll have to wait till it reappears and post then the output of lspci.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

That isn't related. lspci only lists your major hardware components connected via pci. I just wanted to see if you might have had any devices that is known to cause problems with Linux. You are fine in that regard. It is just a Gnome bug.
spacegypsy

Post by spacegypsy »

Thought so, because I ran previously Linux Mint 4 the KDE version without any problems on the same PC.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

the bigeest frustrating thing i see in Gnome is a Gnome failure to load deamon/daemon that appears or icons that do not load. 2 different aspects - I get the daemon/deamon I reboot. and icon missing I usually live with it until the next boot up. People have been complaining about Gnome's glitchiness. I like Gnome so i live with it.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
spacegypsy

Post by spacegypsy »

GrayWizardLinux wrote:the bigeest frustrating thing i see in Gnome is a Gnome failure to load deamon/daemon that appears or icons that do not load. 2 different aspects - I get the daemon/deamon I reboot. and icon missing I usually live with it until the next boot up. People have been complaining about Gnome's glitchiness. I like Gnome so i live with it.
I like them both gnome for his look and feel and KDE for his applications.

I Installed the gnome version because that PC is mainly used by my father (a non computer geek at all) and I found gnome easier (less extended) than KDE for beginners.

Funny is that I never had that bug in Ubuntu gnome version (I'm using it since Dapper).
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Sadly you got a happy mix of Intel, ATI and VIA chipsets. If you were just running Intel, I would have suggested to go for Elyssa, the drivers seems to be more stable in Hardy/Elyssa.

But a more general recommendation, run what works for you, if you don't need the bleeding edge. If you value stability, run a configuration that works
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
spacegypsy

Post by spacegypsy »

MagnusB wrote:But a more general recommendation, run what works for you, if you don't need the bleeding edge. If you value stability, run a configuration that works
That's why I chose Mint.

In my eyes the best combination of ease of use and stability, some other distro's maybe more stable but haven't that easiness which Mint offers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”