LMDE Vs. Mint?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fnux
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE Vs. Mint?

Post by Fnux »

Hi all,

Is there any documentation that explains the differences between LMDE-Cinnamon and Mint-Cinnamon (that is Ubuntu based)?

TIA.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Don't start a discussion during a diner since the one who's not hungry will have the last word.
Apple iMac 27- RAM 32 Gb - SSD 2 Tb - HDD 4 Tb - 2 screens 2560x1440
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LMDE Vs. Mint?

Post by mdavies5 »

I have Mint17 and LMDE installed with almost identical packages. Both systems use similar disk space and RAM and they both run flawlessly so, for the end user, there is no appreciable difference. For the technical, Mint17 uses a later version of Linux and has frequent updates. LMDE use the Debian system of upgrade packages at 6 monthly itntervals. Debian is also slightly more difficult to install for the first time user.
I use LMDE as I see no need to have Ubuntu as an intermediary. As a desktop I use Cinnamon. There are other topics in this forum which you should read.
WHichever system you select, it will be the best Linux distro
Cheers, Mike
abickerton

Post by abickerton »

With Mint it's not a problem to use applications from an Ubuntu ppa. With LMDE it doesn't always work.
In general, LMDE is not updated as often as mint.
Lot's of developers tend to target Ubuntu as the default Linux environment so if you're lokking for a windows like experience (downloading packages from the developers website instead of using the repositories) Mint will probably be a better fit for you.

On the other hand, if you prefer something more customisable, and can handle the occasional hiccup. LMDE is quite rewarding. It gives a great opportunity to really understand how the system works.

short version: LMDE if you want to know how your computer works. Mint if you don't, or want to use ppas.
apemanx

Post by apemanx »

If you compare Steam gaming on both I'd go with mint-Ubuntu-cinnamon. I struggled a day with getting Steam to work on LMDE.
So that is my recommendation. For anything else, i'll stay with Debian base, but that's just preference.

Return to “LMDE Archive”