<DECIDED> LMDE to be based on Stable, not on Testing.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Would you like LMDE to be based on Debian Stable instead of Debian Testing in the future?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:24 am

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 80

vvarlock

Re: Would you like LMDE to be based on Stable, not on Testin

Post by vvarlock »

ardouos wrote:
vvarlock wrote:I voted no.

Until I came across LMDE, I used a mix of Debian Stable and Testing (that's Debian, not a mint or ubuntu derivative) simply because some of the applications I use need newer libraries than what is offered in Debian Stable. The reason I switched to LMDE was because it took a lot of the burden off of my shoulders -- I no longer needed to manage the Testing libraries myself.

If LMDE becomes Stable based I'll probably switch back to using vanilla Debian.
If you do go back to Debian, do yourself a favour and do not mix repos.
I wouldn't normally recommend it either, unless you're extremely careful with what you're mixing. The only reason I did it was because it was the only way I could get my setup working properly.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

an interesting discussion on LMDE stable/testing in the crunchbang forum:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=35888

The prevailing opinion in that thread seems to go to Debian stable.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

xfrank wrote:http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=35888

The prevailing opinion in that thread seems to go to Debian stable.
That's hardly surprising as Crunchbang itself is based on Debian stable :lol:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

From the blog today, decision has been made to switch to Debian stable:
After a long reflection and many discussions the decision was made to switch Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) from its current snapshot cycle to a Debian Stable package base. The transition from Update Pack 8 to Debian Jessie should be smooth and similar to a traditional UP upgrade, in sync with the upstream Jessie freeze planned for November this year.
Thanks all for getting involved in good discussion here!
py-thon

Re: <DECIDED> LMDE to be based on Stable, not on Testing.

Post by py-thon »

What a pity. LMDE is not even semi-rolling anymore.
At least after LMDE's transition to frozen Jessie it should be low risk to start tracking testing.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

A few more information here:
Clem wrote:Edit by Clem: Hi Mike, there won’t be any UP9 or UP10, these were snapshots, update packs. We’ll move from UP8 to Jessie, after that the base will be the same as in Debian. In terms of release management we’ll have to make sure things continue to work for both bases for a while and people can make the jump when it suits them, so at some stage we’ll have UP8 as you know it now and a set of repositories ready for you to jump to (probably very similar to how it works in Mint, with a Jessie set on packages.linuxmint.com and a Debian Jessie base). On top of Jessie, we’ll be doing something similar to what we’re doing with Trusty… i.e. you’ll get security updates and bug fixes from upstream on an ongoing basis with the same filter/policy as in mintupdate and we’ll backport popular apps, DEs and Mint tools. Based on the popularity of LMDE we’ll need to decide a few additional details when it comes to release strategy (namely multi-tracking and the ability to opt-in between point releases).
This decision is not a big surprise in my opinion... :wink:
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

When the time comes and for those not interested in using an LMDE based on Debian stable, you can keep on rolling with Debian Testing or even Debian SID. Just keep an eye on these threads..

LMDE tracking Debian Testing :arrow: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=132747

and (or)
LMDE tracking Debian SID :arrow: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=133211

Both have been very smooth since the recent issues with Nvidia removals (and fix), and systemd changes..

I am on LMDE tracking Debian SID with Sparky and Siduction repos.. Using Cinnamon 2.2., 3.16 kernel....all smooth... 8)

Code: Select all

gene@sid:~$ inxi -Fxxx
System:    Host: sid Kernel: 3.16-0.towo-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.9.1) 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.2.14 (Gtk 3.12.2-1+b1) dm: lightdm Distro: Debian GNU/Linux jessie/sid 
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M4A88TD-M/USB3 v: Rev X.0x
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 1501 date: 08/09/2012
CPU:       Quad core AMD Phenom II X4 955 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 25726 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2100 MHz 2: 2100 MHz 3: 3200 MHz 4: 2100 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF104 [GeForce GTX 460] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0e22
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.0 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1680x1050@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 460/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.24 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA GF104 High Definition Audio Controller 
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0beb 
           Card-2 Creative Labs CA0106 Soundblaster 
           driver: snd_ca0106 port: ec00 bus-ID: 05:05.0 chip-ID: 1102:0007 
           Card-3 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) 
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 chip-ID: 1002:4383 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.16-0.towo-siduction-amd64
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d800 bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 48:5b:39:ee:b9:e7
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (9.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500HHTZ size: 250.1GB serial: WD-WXN1E32NXUSC
Partition: ID-1: / size: 39G used: 4.1G (12%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 37.0C mobo: 36.0C gpu: 0.0:49C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 808 sys-1: 1580 
Info:      Processes: 208 Uptime: 1:03 Memory: 1379.3/12022.9MB 
           Init: systemd v: 208 runlevel: 5 default: 2 Gcc sys: 4.9.1 alt: 4.4/4.6/4.7/4.8 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.221 running in xfce4-terminal) inxi: 2.1.28 
gene@sid:~$ 
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I think it is a great decision. People will be amazed at how nice and rock solid Debian Stable is, and that added to Mint putting a nice polish on it will be an awesome combination IMO.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

KBD47 wrote:I think it is a great decision. People will be amazed at how nice and rock solid Debian Stable is, and that added to Mint putting a nice polish on it will be an awesome combination IMO.
Yes, they will enjoy it immensely. From November on... As for me, I'm done with LMDE.
Last edited by roger64 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
teatime

Post by teatime »

That's good news due that I'm always tracked stable since I installed LMDE and therefore a great step to a stable platform.
RytronII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RytronII »

I am too late to vote in the poll but I would have chosen Yes.
Husse: "Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it."
deusdara

Post by deusdara »

Hi

I didnt like to change Debian Testing to Debian Stable.

Good bye to LMDE.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

I for one, am pleased with the Mint teams decision. I think in the long run we will see a more polished LMDE. A refined Cinnamon DE, even better Mint tools than we have now. The Mint team is small, and this will give them the time they need to do the things that matter most. I look forward to see what Clem, and the team come up with.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

I am still not using Mint :P (after bad install attempt 3 years ago) , but just wanted to drop by and say - finally!

will look again at this option when version based on stable is out if it's not there already. I think this would be great for an old notebook. just need to replace the default DE with something lighter and away we go.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

And SolydXK became a Debian Stable based distro...

Maybe Linux Mint decision was not that bad :roll:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Wow, they were fast to follow :D
Guess Schoelje also got tired of maintaining UP-based distro...

There's a slight difference though:
We will however provide truly rolling editions following Debian testing directly. They will include snapshot ISOs, to be released at regular intervals, maybe twice or three times a year. Other than that, these rolling editions will not be officially supported! They will have to be carried by the community.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

^
That was what I was hoping LMDE would do. We do now have small communities with LMDE tracking Debian Testing and Debian SID, but don't know how feasible it would be in the future to set them up for new users (old users could just keep on rolling, but new LMDE isos built on Debian Stable might have a rough road trying to update to Debian Testing or SID). We just have to try and see what happens. Perhaps just installing the latest Debian Testing iso and adding Mint repos and Mint packages (where needed). Let the community support on the forums, similar to SolydXK. Don't know if its worth the effort or if there is enough interest, but with the large Mint community it might be successful.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

It might only work with MATE. With Cinnamon it will break a couple of days after Jessie is released... :)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Good point..
If using the Debian Testing iso as a base, no issues with Cinnamon though, as they have their own Cinnamon packages. (Currently running Debian SID with Cinnamon 2.2).
Again, I don't know if its worth the trouble though, the only reason I would stick with LMDE is the community.

Alternately, dump Cinnamon and use XFCE or KDE (we have the meta-packages in the repo).
RytronII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RytronII »

Monsta wrote:Wow, they were fast to follow :D
Guess Schoelje also got tired of maintaining UP-based distro...

There's a slight difference though:
We will however provide truly rolling editions following Debian testing directly. They will include snapshot ISOs, to be released at regular intervals, maybe twice or three times a year. Other than that, these rolling editions will not be officially supported! They will have to be carried by the community.
Hey Monsta. What does UP-based' mean?
Husse: "Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it."

Return to “LMDE Archive”