AWN

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

AWN

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

AWN in the software protal for Daryna. Does it work on all computers? or most? or are there problems with video cards? when you download it and install it how do you access it or set it up? I also saw that there were extra packages available from somewhere. Ar they a problem to get and setup too?

thank you.

p.s. I did do a search but cam up with a bunch of ransom posts...not very helpful.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
McLovin

Re: AWN

Post by McLovin »

AWN requires some type of compositing, like compiz, or something similar. In order to run those, you do have to have the drivers for your video card installed correctly, if compiz, or any other compositing does not work on your system, AWN wont run. As for starting AWN, it is the applications area of your menu, and can be atarted from there, or you can ad it to the autostart section of your sessions, just open up preferences>session and ad it , name it what ecer you want, and then for the command enter

Code: Select all

avant-window-navigator
. As for the extras, they can be installed in a number of ways, you can compile them, or you just install awn with all the extras by following the method in this tutorial on Ubuntu Forums http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=762363 this is how i installed it on my system, and it works flawlessly.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Ok I gyuess I am screwed. Thanaks McLovin! New thinkpad 2008 and it won't run this stuff. sounds weird and a bit sucky to me. :)
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Critom

Post by Critom »

I am running Cairo Dock on a crappy old laptop with just Gnome compositing on and that seems to be ok, not sure if this will be applicable to your setup with AWN.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

I do not remember what it is...
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Critom

Post by Critom »

Gnome compositing can be accessed in Mint Desktop on the 4th tab. I use that because although compiz will just about run on the laptop it struggles so i dumped it but wanted to use Cairo Dock which worked with the Compositing.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

probably won't work with me - I cannot get compiz to work on this laptop - hard to believe...
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

been there done that - can only run in basic mode - the older shitty thi nkpad that was worse than this one worked at a basic level with beryl/compiz. this one - notta.

2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

cannot figure how to get this working at a more than the basic mode setting....
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

there is a workaround to get compiz working on that, cant remember what it is though
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

I had a problem w/my 2 year old Toshiba laptop running an Intel 945gm chipset. Turns out my Xorg.conf file showed "vesa" rather than "intel" and after changing it, I was good to go. Some chipsets are blacklisted. Run compiz at a terminal and if you get "Blacklisted PCIID '8086:2972' found" then you have a prob.
good luck
darco
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

what do you mean by run compiz in terminal? and if so how do I undo what i just typed in or exit compiz?

also how do you do

Turns out my Xorg.conf file showed "vesa" rather than "intel" and after changing it, I was good to go. Some chipsets are blacklisted. Run compiz at a terminal and if you get "Blacklisted PCIID '8086:2972' found" then you have a prob.

without screwing up my Xorg - I hate goofing with this since one time I could not get out of it and had to redo my system. since I just redid it 2x this week for screwing around with E17 I do not want any errors at the moment.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Is Compiz working? By running compiz at the terminal, just type compiz and hit enter, it will give you similiar info as this:
compiz
Checking for Xgl: not present.
Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 10de:0611 (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Comparing resolution (1680x1050) to maximum 3D texture size (8192): Passed.
Checking for nVidia: present.
Checking for FBConfig: present.
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: no 'text' plugin with ABI version '20070902' loaded

/usr/bin/compiz.real (shift) - Warn: No compatible text plugin loaded.

not sure what the last 2 lines mean,,,anyways this is my PC and compiz and awn work fine. I will boot up my laptop later...

About the xorg.conf, on my laptop, the driver showed "vesa" under device instead of the proper driver which is "intel
"Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nvidia"
Once I changed it, all was good. Compiz and AWN are fine...

darco
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

no compize doesn't work - it is in basic mode re: graphics setting.

not sure how to change vesa to intel?

any more info?

zen@zen:~$ compiz
Blacklisted PCIID '8086:2a02' found
aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

any clues???
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

I got this from another forum......

Trying to run compiz and getting the following output?
Code:

Blacklisted PCIID '8086:2972' found

This means your video card has been blacklisted due to driver issues. This applies to some Radeon Mobility cards, Radeon rv350 and rv450 cards, and the Intel 965 (X3000, X3100). 8.04 does not blacklist i965 cards.

You can dodge that blacklist (at your own peril) with the following:
Code:

mkdir -p ~/.config/compiz/ && echo SKIP_CHECKS=yes >> ~/.config/compiz/compiz-manager

darco
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Thanks darco - not sure what you mean by at your own peril but that does not sound too good. I will probably leave all as is. It is too bad.

But thank you anyway.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

In Elyssa this card works perfectly with Compiz for me, some times I think it performs better than the nVidia Geforce 8400M GS that I have on this laptop (running OpenSUSE 11 x86_64).
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Ok - I guess i will have to try elyssa. I was generally pleased with Daryna. and there were a few issues with elyssa that i knew of that kept me from upgrading... Thanks Magnus!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Just check to see if you get Compiz on the live CD, I got it. I normally recommend going for what works with your setup, so if you feel Daryna works better, I see no reason to upgrade...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”