Can I install plasma 5?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ldorigo

Can I install plasma 5?

Post by ldorigo »

Hello,

Can I install plasma 5 on my Mint KDE 17 or will it screw things up?

Thank you!!

Luca
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rbrick49
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can I install plasma 5?

Post by rbrick49 »

yes my friend you can install neon and may I wish you the best of luck.I installed it from upubuntu website which gives you the ppa,it worked well but now after many updates all I get is a black screen and no answers fom kde
741cc

Post by 741cc »

rbrick49
...it worked well but now after many updates all I get is a black screen...
Same here. Definately only to play with on a spare machine for now.
colyn

Post by colyn »

Neon is still in beta a a ways from being stable. I would only recommend installing to a test machine..

I had it installed on a test machine but recently removed it since it is so unstable..

Stick with what you currently have till KDE5 is stable..
romanyacik

Post by romanyacik »

I'm having the same problem with a black screen when trying to start plasma 5. I am using LM 17, and still the forums for KDE are no help. It tells me that plasmashell and krunner crashed, but it won't even let me send a bug report.
rbrick49
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rbrick49 »

[quote="romanyacik"]I'm having the same problem with a black screen when trying to start plasma 5. I am using LM 17, and still the forums for KDE are no help. It tells me that plasmashell and krunner crashed, but it won't even let me send a bug report.[/quI got some help from kde but in the end my system was so screwed up from updating neon and getting a power outage at the same time, my mint install was doing odd things also ,the only way I got neon to go from black screen to normal was reinstall linux mint 17 kde then reinstall neon, kde 4 and neon some how got mixed together when the power went off. try looking in xsessions errors and see what you getote]
romanyacik

Post by romanyacik »

Code: Select all

/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:roman being added to access control list
Script for none started at run_im.
Script for auto started at run_im.
Script for default started at run_im.
Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
init:/home/roman/.config/upstart: Configuration directory deleted
This is all it says in the .xsession-errors file
goldshirt9

Post by goldshirt9 »

I appreciate that Plasma 5 isnt as yet suitable for everyday use, but I was wondering when a stable release would be released and what Distro will be using it as standard ?
Notices Kubuntu 15.04 is rumoured to be set to release distro with Plasma 5.
Any news on MInt ????
trashcan86

Post by trashcan86 »

Unfortunately the Neon PPA has been taken off Launchpad, the only way to install Plasma 5 is through the ppa:kubuntu-next/ppa, but kubuntu-plasma5-desktop is only accessible to Ubuntu 14.10 and later, which means that Linux Mint users can't use it until 18 (or 17.2 if the Mint devs find a way to install it on 14.04 LTS)

Return to “Software & Applications”