new to linux and mint need help badly!!!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

In the mixer, try to make all the options and switches visible then in "switches" try to disable/enable them while playing some music at the same time. It works for me when I switch off "External Amplifier".

Just in case it helps.
Clem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

No problem. I'm frustrated as well but for another reason. I don't have time to read everything on the forums anymore (to many posts) and I feel like I'm missing out precious info/ideas/feedback sometimes.

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

blacklinux wrote: Any clues how to get my sound working.
What laptop is that? Name? Brand? Any tech specs you could share with us?
blacklinux wrote: I never thought I'd have this much trouble.
You should have checked the various hardware compatibility lists first, and plus there are various forums about these matters where they tell people which brand works and which doesn't. I personally would stay away from unknown cheapo brands. Dell, HP. IBM, Lenovo, Fujitsu ... hell, even Sony, although I don't like them so much. These are brands that will usually work, plus minus a few things. E.g. on my HP dv2108ea I haven't yet found a way to get my web cam working because the needed driver isn't yet ready and not yet in the current kernel versions ... But OK, one day it will be there. I can wait.

Besides: I fail to understand why you are rushing so madly?? Nobody forces you to use Linux, you know? :wink: If you feel Microsoft's BS operating systems work better for you, you are free to buy and install a Microsoft OS ... Maybe you can even get their new Mac OS X rip-off "Vista" to work? :D

Again: Nobody forces you to use Linux!
blacklinux wrote: AND this is from a preinstalled linux laptop vendor too!
Well, you learned your lesson, yes? :twisted: First check the hardware components of the laptop you intend to buy. Use Google. And then and only then buy a laptop. Install Linux yourself. Preferably a distro that is easier for beginners? Maybe Linspire? Maybe Xandros? Maybe Mandriva? Ubuntu is NOT for beginners in my opinion (due to lack of good control panel tools that e.g. Mandriva and OpenSUSE have!), and with all due respect to clem and the marvellous work he is doing, "Mint" is still being worked on and I wouldn't regard it as a "stable" product yet. Even though I like "Mint" a lot: but maybe it's not (yet?) the right distro for you?
blacklinux wrote: but how can I pay you for a month of help to get this laptop's sound and printer and media working?
Without knowing the precise hardware details of that laptop this might as well be an impossible task :?
blacklinux wrote: and can you guarantee getting these few things working?
From the LinuxMint.com web site:
Linux Mint is not copyrighted. It is free of charge (thanks to your donations and adverts on the website). It comes with no warranty. You can use it, modify it, distribute it and do whatever you want with it. This is our idea of freedom and we hope you'll enjoy it.

Why are you trying so hard to get Linux on that laptop? What's driving you to this? Maybe it would help if you would stop rushing things and go more slowly about your conversion to Linux? :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

blacklinux wrote: I also use macs not windows
So what's the point switching to a PC then??? :?
blacklinux wrote: bought an asus with intel wireless and audio becaue it was supposed to work. Ubuntu I get notta
"Notta" ??? confused. I suppose this means "nothing"?? :evil: How about at least trying to speak in a language we all can understand? :wink:
blacklinux wrote: - no sound and no wireless and even res was bad and now it is OK.
What I don't get is this: That ASUS Laptop came shipped with Ubuntu pre-installed ... Why the f*** didn't you contact their support when something wasn't working? Where the hell did you take the idea from that *you* could install an unsupported distribution and then still expect them to support you?? Especially given your lack of knowledge ... ? :roll:

And if read your other posting correctly most of the stuff actually worked at the beginning before you messed around with it? :D
blacklinux wrote: Mint no sound

Code: Select all

sudo lspci
... the whole output please.
blacklinux wrote: I wanted to try linux for 8 years and lately the last few years I was dying to try it.
And why did you start with Ubuntu??? There are other distributions that are for more suited for beginners. :wink: And besides: You are already using Mac and Mac OS X as you wrote?? I don't see why you'd want to try Linux so hard? Nobody is forcing you, you know :D
blacklinux wrote: why I want to get this **** working - so I can use it ---- NOW!!!!not 3 years from Now.
Well, if you think it is "****" why even bother with it? :twisted:
blacklinux wrote: I did try to do my homework. I had no PC in the house so I had to buy 1 to get Linux going and my macs work 100% perfectly. not going to screw them up.
Even Macs can dual-boot these days, and besides: I hear restoring a Mac is relatively easy, it will even keep all your settings and all that.
blacklinux wrote: I also want this working so I can use this for my daily work stuff....
And I suppose you use your Macs for ... decoration? :lol:
blacklinux wrote: enough solid answers for you?
Not in the least, but hey, it's your money :D
blacklinux wrote: I need to get work done. and if this does not work it is an expensive doorstop BECAUSE I DO NOT DO Windows IN MY HOME!!!!
Talking of expensive doorstops: You already have 1-2 Macs, maybe even more? So I suppose you at least can afford them "expensive doorstops" :D
blacklinux wrote: I like Mint a Lot! It feels clean and neat to me. I just want to get the sound going.
See above.

Code: Select all

sudo lspci
... I want the whole output.
blacklinux wrote: printer I have not tried yet.
What printer is that? Brand? Make? Model? ...
blacklinux wrote: I have not tried to burn or play cd's or dvd's yet either.
Why not? It should work ... unless it's really an exotic drive (like those external PCMCIA drives that some Sony VAIO laptops had ...)?
blacklinux wrote: or hook up an external HD
Should work, USB and Firewire are pretty much standard these days. Linux should see them as "SCSI" devices, e.g. /dev/sda or /dev/sdb something. You connect them and an icon shows up on your desktop. Pretty much Mac OS like as far as I know.
blacklinux wrote:at least I am interested to go the added expense
Money can't buy everything or everyone :wink:

BTW, did you consider to try another Linux distro?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

We only use Paypal to sell our products and accept donations. The Linux Mint Support Center guarantees that the developers answer all your questions and dedicate their time to solving your issues, however we cannot guarantee any result. In the end of the day it's down to the compatibility of your hardware and your environment.

I would suggest the following tips to get your problems fixed on these forums:
- stick to one thread per question and one question per thread
- make sure to post in the right subsection
- give as much info as you can (model, output of commands, error messages)
- be patient
- don't princess about Windows, Mac or anything .. there's no need for it. Forget about passion, stick to your question. If you feel like talking about your experiences or sharing your feelings do so in another thread, but keep your questions separated.

It's always easier to help somebody when he sticks to the definition of the problem, gives you plenty of info and sticks that in the right forum.

Good luck,
Clem.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Just to mention that the honorable Mr. blacklinux --a Ph.D. as he claims-- has sent me a private message full of insults because he felt I was "busting his ****"; most likely he's talking about my message above where I dared to slightly criticise him for wiping the OS that was pre-installed on his laptop and where I failed to understand why he is rushing things so much? Oh dear ... there is some sensitive folk lurking around here, huh? :twisted:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

blacklinux wrote:you are a freaking joke and a real jerk!
Look who's talking :lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

blacklinux wrote:you are a freaking joke and a real jerk!
Talking about jerks and jokes ... That person "oldone" on the Ubuntu Forum and you here have a remarkable resemblence e.g. posting chaotic rubbish, being rude towards those who try to help, use of the word "notta", laptop brands they tried Linux on, chaotic approach to fix their problems by reinstalling 3+ times (as if that would change anything?). Another resemblance being that the people started to ignore "oldone" and even closed some of that guy's threads:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost2144249

More posts:
http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?s=ae ... d=15660601
I would thus assume that "oldone" and you are the same person? :lol:

Good luck finding anyone who will help you :D

EDIT: slightly malformed URL corrected. Search results added.
Last edited by scorp123 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

metapy wrote:Nice detective work...
Well, it's not really a big deal, I just used the search function and searched for "notta" and "laptop" ... and guess whose postings I got? :lol:

Maybe we should warn our brethren at the Mepis forums? :D

Also very entertaining: In the private message to me he claimed to have an academic title "PH.D." ... as far as I understand this is "Philosophiae Doctor" and a person has to demonstrate the ability to do original research on an University level in order to obtain such a title? Wouldn't you expect that someone with an academic background and such a title knows how to approach problems in a calm and analytic manner? And I'd also expect a certain 'niveau' from a person with academic doctor titles? Well ... he sure demonstrated his 'niveau' or rather the absence thereof :D

But it's good to know that the US troops in Iraq and Afganistan are in such good hands ... taken from this posting:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?s= ... ostcount=2

"I work with a lot of US military from majors to colonels to special ops and chopper pilots, and I hear and know of the horror that is Iraq and Afghanistan."

Yeah, it probably takes the guts of a special ops dude and nerves of hardened steel in order to not go crazy when this guy is around you, crying like a baby because it is "imperative" that after waiting 8 years sound and wireless work right-f***ing-now ...

Ooops ... I maybe shouldn't have written that. Now he will send me those black helicopters to come after me ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

After "interpol", ladies and gentlemen, here comes "distropol" ! :)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote:After "interpol", ladies and gentlemen, here comes "distropol" ! :)
Talking of which, when can I expect that the spy backdoor, DRM and biometric scanner modules I asked you about in our super secret IRC meetings get integrated into Mint so I can spy on the others here?? :evil: Project "mint-spy". I really don't see myself using the "search" functions of every distro's forum until some useful info pops up ... And besides: Consider it a "compatibility" issue! Most people here are used to Windows, so not giving them spyware to worry about will frustrate new users. :twisted: Really, how am I supposed to do my spy job otherwise? Like that we'll get notta notta notta :D

PS: just in case anyone takes this serious: it's a joke. Really :D

:lol:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Scorp123,

We should have mintSpyware ready for Cassandra.. right now we're too busy developing mintDRM, mintVirus, mintMessGconf and mintFragmentHDD.

;)
Clem
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

clem wrote:Hi Scorp123,

We should have mintSpyware ready for Cassandra.. right now we're too busy developing mintDRM, mintVirus, mintMessGconf and mintFragmentHDD.

;)
Clem
Hello! could you please announce the probable release date? I am bored not having to debug, defragment and de-louse my PC. :D
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It's too early to announce any release date yet, but if you really can't wait for this we suggest you use a version of Microsoft Windows in the meantime.

Clem
:roll: :lol:
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Of course! I could kill my boredom by hunting for spies in my Win. 2K.
Did you hear about the guys who are trying to crack Vista?
What do you call these fellows who are wasting their time to do this?
In my country they are called nut crackers.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

They should be paid by Microsoft. After all, very few people will actually "buy" Vista. They'll either buy a computer with Vista pre-installed in it, or they'll get it free for their existing computer thanks to their friends who burnt them a cracked version.

When you think of it, the only way to get into companies is to seduce the employees... have your OS run in their home first and then have these guys ask their boss why they're still using 2k or XP at work. Since these people are not going to pay for it, the fact that it's just been cracked is the best news that could happen to Microsoft.

--> Their home audience is going to get bigger (everybody will install Vista at home now that it's cracked/free.

--> The companies will never take that risk and after their employees are "used" to Vista (that way they don't need to pay for the learning curve) they'll buy the licenses.

So Microsoft gets the money from the companies and a vast community of users thanks to the crackers.

I say these guys are doing a huge favor to Microsoft, they should get paid :)

Seriously, isn't that the best business model they could have? And whatever they say about it and how politically correct they can be, piracy is a very positive thing for them.

Clem,
very opinionated on that.

Return to “Other topics”