Graphics Driver :: Screen Resolution

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
URPradhan

Graphics Driver :: Screen Resolution

Post by URPradhan »

Hi
I ve MSI T128 Graphics card (nVidia chipset, 128MB) http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func ... cat_no=130
The default driver detected by LinuxMint gives me max 1280x9** (d't remember the last two digits) resolution for my 17" CRT monitor.
But if I'll enable the nVidia driver it takes max 1024x768.

Can you plz help to get the max resolution with nVidia driver ?

Thanx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
glore2002

Re: Graphics Driver :: Screen Resolution

Post by glore2002 »

Resolution not only depends on your graphic card. You should know what your monitor is capable to show (that limits resolution). For instance, my LCD 17" monitor can show up to 1280x1024. But there are some crt monitors that will show up to 1024x768 px. If drivers were installed properly and if nvidia configuration panel shows your max res is 1024x768 you can modify xorg.conf by hand /etc/X11/xorg.conf. But, make sure first your monitor will support that. Before modifying xorg.conf make sure you back-up it (cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.back).

I hope it helps.
Glore2002.-
URPradhan

Post by URPradhan »

I'm sure that my 17" CRT can display 1280x1024 as its working with this mode in Windows XP and under LinuxMint (generic driver picked up by LinuxMint). But nVidia driver is not supporting this resolution. So I have concluded that there is some thing with the nVidia driver :(
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Try one of two things:
1. Edit your xorg.conf. If you are not sure how, post it here, and someone will take a look at it (/etc/X11/xorg.conf)
2. Check Screen Resolution tool, what is the maximum allowed resolution? Or you can try using nvidia-settings:

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-settings
You can also take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what resolution it try to set when X is starting up, I know I have some issues with a nVidia card, I can't get the resolution to 1366x768 with the proprietary driver, but the nv driver handles it just fine.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”