Raid 1 and Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beeman
Level 3
Level 3

Raid 1 and Mint

Post by beeman »

So once again I'm trying raid on my desktop. I have two drives, each 500Gbs, mirrored with Raid 1 and Windows loaded.
Now I try to Dual boot Mint 17 and all the crazys come out to play.
First Windows won't boot, just a splash screen, then it resets to the start menu again and again, endless loop.
Is it possible to do what I want? I used Parted Magic, only to find a mirrored drive, two drives sda, sdb plus a third sdc. Totally lost and don't know what to do. Help please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ktheking

Re: Raid 1 and Mint

Post by ktheking »

There is a very important fact about raid you should know.
All motherboards that provide raid ,provide a 'fake raid'.

Meaning : you need the specific driver for this hardware to be loaded by the OS ,before it's actually working.

The best to do ,is to install the OS on a non-raid disk, and your actual data on raid set of disks. This'll make your life way easier ,and allows you to play around with drivers.

If you play with raid on the OS disk(set) ,there's little room to play around ,as the driver must be working before you can actually try stuff in your OS.

Read this small little intro on fake raid and grub ,and you'll see why I say this : http://www.overclockers.com/how-to-dual ... aid-array/
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

beeman,

The package dmraid should be included with the install media. I'm not at all familiar with it, but that should support various fakeraid setups.

Can you boot the live media, open a terminal and paste back the results of

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
to have a look at what sitting there.

Also paste the results of

apt search dmraid
beeman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beeman »

Excellent.Just what I was looking for. I did have Windows working, it all collapsed when i installed Linux. From the link above I have to reverse the install order, plus other stuff. Thanks for your help.

Well as always tried that, didn't work!!! http://www.overclockers.com/how-to-dual ... aid-array/
Worked fine until I tried to mount the raid 1, then it wouldn't, 'not found'. The article was written in 2009, so just a touch old. Since then there has been a number of changes in Ubuntu 14.04, so no doubt there are major changes in Mint 17.
Is there 'anywhere' to find up to date information, most of the stuff I'm reading is years old? Anyone wanna help???
Last edited by beeman on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beeman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beeman »

WharfRat wrote:beeman,
The package dmraid should be included with the install media. I'm not at all familiar with it, but that should support various fakeraid setups.
Can you boot the live media, open a terminal and paste back the results of

sudo blkid
to have a look at what sitting there.
Also paste the results of

apt search dmraid

Thank you, but I have to reverse the install order and try again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”