Networking question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mickey6

Networking question

Post by mickey6 »

Maybe this one won't be too hard:

Do I need to use Samba to share directories on a network between two computers running Linux Mint 17 KDE edition?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Networking question

Post by WharfRat »

mickey6 wrote:Maybe this one won't be too hard:

Do I need to use Samba to share directories on a network between two computers running Linux Mint 17 KDE edition?
You can use nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server as an alternative.
mickey6

Post by mickey6 »

WharfRat wrote:
mickey6 wrote:Maybe this one won't be too hard:

You can use nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server as an alternative.
Thank you! I would assume from the package names that that would be the client-server solution. Does that imply that for a peer-to-peer I need to figure out samba? What's the best solution for peer-to peer?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

mickey6 wrote:Does that imply that for a peer-to-peer I need to figure out samba?
Samba is a client - server protocol.

When you create the samba share in dolphin that machine just became a samba server.

When the other machine accesses that share it becomes a samba client. Both machines can be both a server and a client to the other machine on the lan.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
mickey6

Post by mickey6 »

altair4 wrote:
mickey6 wrote:Does that imply that for a peer-to-peer I need to figure out samba?

When you create the samba share in dolphin that machine just became a samba server.

When the other machine accesses that share it becomes a samba client. Both machines can be both a server and a client to the other machine on the lan.

Thank you again. Does this imply that this is the preferred, or 'best practice' solution to sharing files across a network? Is there another solution I'm overlooking?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Does this imply that this is the preferred, or 'best practice' solution to sharing files across a network
Excellent question :!:
And will samba and nfs coexist in harmony, or is it just choose one or the other? --if no win anywhere.
I am now sharing via samba but is nfs faster?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

NFTS file sharing (CIFS) has become the default selection within Linux OS distributions..
--the standard UNIX method for file sharing was/is NFS
  • There is one thing to watch for when connecting to NTFS file shares, permissions from an NTFS file folder or file are not respected by Linux OS; so file copying can be an issue..
    --there is an ACL function withion Linux available, but it is not an exact match for NTFS file attributes/permissions
And there is always cloud storage to which either computer could connect to; whether Linux, Windows or Apple OSX

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4880
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

mickey6 wrote:
altair4 wrote:

Thank you again. Does this imply that this is the preferred, or 'best practice' solution to sharing files across a network? Is there another solution I'm overlooking?
You will never get a "preferred, or 'best practice'" kind of answer anywhere in Linux.

All I can tell you is that Linux, Windows ( SMB ), and now Apple ( the default file sharing protocol - which was afp - is now SMB ) all use some form of Samba/SMB so it's become universal.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Postby DrHu on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:38 pm
This is a wee bit off the subject matter.

DrHu--others,
I am awed and respectful of the expertise offered in these forums--no doubt.
These sometimes get waaaay beyond the ozone layer.
In so many posts there are links to online articles to convey pertinent information.
I suggest that many of these referrals are far beyond a typical user's level of understanding, and especially so regarding replies to Newbie Questions.
So it would be very informative if you could also include a summary, interpretation, and/or your conclusions of these highly technical articles, and
in a plain language for "the other 99%" of us.

The best your way.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
mickey6

Post by mickey6 »

all41 wrote:
Postby DrHu on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:38 pm
This is a wee bit off the subject matter.

DrHu--others,
I am awed and respectful of the expertise offered in these forums--no doubt.
These sometimes get waaaay beyond the ozone layer.
In so many posts there are links to online articles to convey pertinent information.
I suggest that many of these referrals are far beyond a typical user's level of understanding, and especially so regarding replies to Newbie Questions.
So it would be very informative if you could also include a summary, interpretation, and/or your conclusions of these highly technical articles, and
in a plain language for "the other 99%" of us.

The best your way.
Very nicely said. Sometimes all we need is a push in the right direction, or a hint or clue what commands we should at least investigate. All I really needed was "dolphin smb://hostname.local" and a little time: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=176373
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Ok, but the question was initially more general than
  • ? how can I use Samba to connect to xxx machine (windows OS), which is the general case when people have that style of question..
--in your case it was two kde Linux OS machines..

Now maybe I approach it differently, but when I find someone speaking jargon to me, I always think to look up the terms
--for even jargon (only being a shorthand) is possibly or probably being misused by the speaker/writer and is usually very subjective in whichever form it takes on..

That's probably why I like providing links
--my only suggestion for that is to scan the data, ignoring anything you think doesn't apply, but also picking up some statements/clues to the issue or question: and if nothing matches so be it..
  • It will only be a few moments scan time (for info)..

Return to “Beginner Questions”