this might have been answered before

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mrgeekin23

this might have been answered before

Post by Mrgeekin23 »

how can i install windows 7 on a linux based machine , a simple way please would be helpfull
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: this might have been answered before

Post by gtsfer »

If you're asking about dual-boot, normally you would install Windows first. Windows likes to trash boot records and take things over completely. Short answer... I don't think you can install W7 without toasting your Linux. You'd have to do W7 first and then re-install Linux if you want dual-boot.

If your question is just about how to install W7 ("replacing" Linux), just insert the disk and go.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

you mean dual boot
windows has a very nasty habit of taking ownership of the boot process meaning writing things in places it should not.
Short version and simple version is to install a second drive, disconnect the linux drive, install windows , reboot as many times as needed to finish the windows install, shutdown reconnect the linux drive , in the bios set the linux drive to boot first, in linux update the grub boot loader et voila you have mint and windows ready to go (this was the simple version)
Mrgeekin23

Post by Mrgeekin23 »

NO T MEANING DAUL BOOT i would like windows back on this machine cause i have an old desktop i'm usinglinux on
Mrgeekin23

Post by Mrgeekin23 »

and i tryed using usb tool with iso file and it says error needing 676 mbs
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

do you want to remove and replace a linux install with the windows 7 system? You said you didn't want a dual boot. If you want just the windows, then boot from the windows 7 DVD and run it's install program. Or run the OEM program from it's partition and replace the w7
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Mrgeekin23

Post by Mrgeekin23 »

i can't it won't let me run windows 7
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

call Microsoft or you PC manufacturer, you paid for a license so you are entitled to support.
they will help you getting it back the way it was.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

sounds like a problem with the windows installation software. You could use GParted from the LIVE DVD to completely clear the drive so it's unallocated. You could also use the drive manufacturer's software to initialize the drive fresh again, then try install windows 7. There's no reason why windows 7 installation software wouldn't reformat the disc and install itself.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Mrgeekin23

Post by Mrgeekin23 »

Spearmint2 wrote:sounds like a problem with the windows installation software. You could use GParted from the LIVE DVD to completely clear the drive so it's unallocated. You could also use the drive manufacturer's software to initialize the drive fresh again, then try install windows 7. There's no reason why windows 7 installation software wouldn't reformat the disc and install itself.

thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”