Trouble booting, Error 17 GRUB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gibbs1984

Trouble booting, Error 17 GRUB

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

I've done a search but can't find anything regarding the Error 17 message, apologies if there is another topic.

I have Vista pre-installed on my computer and partitioned it for Ubuntu, I wanted to install Linux Mint over the Ubuntu, so formatted that partition and was installing Mint but it stopped half way through, now when I boot without the LiveCD I get the following message:

GRUB Loading Stage1.5

GRUB loading, please wait

Error 17

I can't boot to Vista or Mint now, from a Google search it sounds like the file format can't be recognised. I'm going to try Super GRUB tomorrow when I can burn it to disk on another computer but is there another way of fixing this? I'm very new to Linux so a idiots guide would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Trouble booting, Error 17 GRUB

Post by 67GTA »

Super grub will let you boot Vista, but won't boot Mint because it didn't finish installing. Try installing Mint again. Also, if you haven't already, once you get booted into Vista, make your recovery disks. There is an advanced check box when you boot the recovery disk that will let you restore Vista's boot(MBR) if you decide to get rid of Linux.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
gibbs1984

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

Thanks for your response, yeah, I'm not too worried about booting to Mint just yet, just wanna get Vista back.

So how does this SuperGrub work? If I burn it to disk do I put the disk in on start up as I obviously can't boot to an OS?

Steve
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

It is a live CD. Just boot with it in the CD/DVD drive.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
gibbs1984

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi all,

I've made a Super Grub Boot disk (super_grub_disk_0.9726) and put it in, it comes up with the Super Grub options, I go down to select an OS (think that's what it does) restart and it comes up with:

BOOTMGR missing

Press Crtl, Alt + Delt to restart

I just go round in circles, does this even without the Super Grub CD in, am I missing something (apart from an OS :() cause it's doing my head in now.

Steve
gibb1984

Post by gibb1984 »

Right,

Managed to get in Super Grub and saw my partitions but trying to restore my MBR or something but anything I do I get an error:

Error 15: File not found

SDG Unsuccessful

What am I doing wrong, I thought SuperGrub would do it for me but I can't work out how to fix it.

Someone help me please :(

Steve
gibbs1984

Post by gibbs1984 »

Not sure if this helps but this is the partitions I can see:

Partition of Grub

Code: Select all

N     IDE     SCSI     GRUB     HURD     TYPE
1     hda1   sda1     (hd0,0)  hdOs1    Unknown 3 GB
2     hda2   sda2     (hd0,1)  hdOs2    HPFS/NTFS 344gb Windows
5     hda5   sda5     (hd0,4)  hdOs5    SWAP 4 GB
Then I get the following trying to boot from the 344gb Windows partition:

Code: Select all

Set Out_device=(hd0,1)
Set Out_hurd=hd0
Set Out_hd=hd0
Set Out_Linux_letter=a
Set Out_lide_hd=hda
Set Out_lscsi_hd=sda
Set Out_part=(hd0,1)
Set Out_lide_part=hda2
Set Out_lscsi_part=sda2
Set Out_hurd_part=hdOs2
Set Out_Linux_part=a2
Set Out_Part_n=1
Set Out_Linux_end=a2
back
back
set grub_part=(hda0)
root(hd0)
Filesystem type unknown, using whole disk setup --force-embed (hd0)

Error 17 Cannot mount selected partition

Press any key to continue
gibbs1984

Post by gibbs1984 »

Well, decided to install Mint again and it worked, now I can see Vista and everything is working fine, strange.

How do you make Vista the default OS on boot up?
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

You'll be wanting to edit your menu.lst file if you're wanting to change grub's menu defaults.

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Return to “Installation & Boot”